Mental health support thread.

34 watchers
Mar 2022
8:42pm, 1 Mar 2022
86,438 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Not me D but I believe a friend has. I will check and see if my recollection is correct and if this person is willing to advise. xx
D
Mar 2022
8:45pm, 1 Mar 2022
1,510 posts
  •  
D
Thank you.
Mar 2022
5:56am, 2 Mar 2022
2,917 posts
  •  
panad
Hanneke i hadn’t come across Gabor Maté until I read Lucia’s books where she mentions When the Body Says NO!. I meant to look it up, thanks for the reminder.

D - no experience here either, other than my sister has found it incredibly hard to claim with the fluctuations in her condition (lupus and fynbromyalgia) given that sone days she could be ‘fine’ other days she can’t get out of bed… good luck!
Mar 2022
9:24am, 2 Mar 2022
86,471 posts
  •  
Hanneke
I have spoken to my friend.
The issue is very difficult indeed and completely dependent on your initial, main assessor. My friend got lucky: fluctuating condition, largely mental but when she was assesses in 2015 she was physically ill... Her assessor then was able to keep her on benefits even when "only" mental health issues remained but it is very rare and under the "new" system unheard of.
That doesn't mean to say you should not try and would not get it! It is it seems very personal.
I never got anything but that was because I am an EU citizen and not British... Sadly, different rules have always applied like 3 months of Job Seekers Allowance as opposed to 6 etc etc and that includes no benefits for illness. I got ill in 2012 and my business partner propped me up i.e. I was paid even though I hardly worked until we decided I took redundancy in 2014 and he retired and we liquidated our business.
We were supposed to both retire last year... But we had no choice: ran out of money! I then had £10k to get better AND build up free lance work I was able to do regardless of fluctuating health... Living on the breadline but relatively low stress and outgoings...
Mar 2022
12:37pm, 2 Mar 2022
4,218 posts
  •  
Curly45
I think its easier to get help if the mental illness has a physical component as Hann says.

PIP is a tick box exercise essentially, and usually requires at least one appeal. Best bet is probably to try and get some support from a benefits officer at the council or CAB. I know this is not easy. There is also a good benefits forum on Moneysavingexpert. You can see there are a lot of threads relating to PIP:
forums.moneysavingexpert.com
D
Mar 2022
8:53pm, 2 Mar 2022
1,511 posts
  •  
D
Thanks all, I'll have a delve into it when I get 5 minutes.
Apr 2022
5:53pm, 24 Apr 2022
8,980 posts
  •  
The Terminator
Good afternoon special people. How are your hearts in this breath?

I'm not around a lot at the moment as am volunteering, and living on and off, with a vegan community. Lots of outside, wholesome food, campfires, singing and working with mother earth.

It has been some start to the year but am currently feeling only gratitude for what I've been through as I fully believe I am in a better place for it. I am still having issues but the work I am doing on myself is currently leaving me a lot more balanced and aware of where the emotions are rooted. It doesn't always make them easier to cope with but I would say I am not having such long or deep dips at least.

Although I'm not around much I do check the forum periodically so am hoping that the lack of sharing is a positive thing. As ever if you are struggling in any way please do talk, not necessarily to us but don't forget we are here and love you dearly.

Peace 💚
Apr 2022
8:28pm, 24 Apr 2022
88,462 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Thanks for popping in T heart
I too have been doing masses of work to clear past issues. I am more or less there now: the past is where it should be: in the past. I feel very much that I can move positively forwards now!
I have started that this weekend by clearing a large area of brambles. I built a skep shelter there and am hoping bees will move in soon!
I also planted bee friendly shrubs and perennials and I now have more room for medicinal plants too ☺️
My "herb building" is ready at last and this week I have started working less for clients so I have more time and energy to finish my herbalism studies at last, practice as a yoga therapist again and start making herbal medicine properly.
It feels like I am finally who I should be, if that makes sense?
Apr 2022
9:15pm, 24 Apr 2022
8,981 posts
  •  
The Terminator
Hi H. Makes perfect sense. I feel very much the same or well on the way there. Not that I'm sure we ever truly get there, or that I even want to if that, itself, makes sense?
Apr 2022
9:48pm, 24 Apr 2022
88,485 posts
  •  
Hanneke
That also makes sense :)

About This Thread

Maintained by MaT.T
Share, connect, talk, listen, advise. Just don't struggle alone.