Mental health support thread.

34 watchers
Mar 2022
1:31pm, 1 Mar 2022
86,418 posts
  •  
Hanneke
I have been dragging myself out for walks. I have some physical ill-health that I believe is directly related to my mental health: I am quite literally pissed off! :-o Which needs addressing... Treating the physical side of it right now... But without the mental side, it won't shift so trying to work out how to do that.
Really, I should go and scream at my evil neighbour across the road to let it all out! But not quite decided on how to do this constructively.
It is just not in my nature to be that agressive!

Glad to hear your counsellor is working so well with you TT! And that you are improving. Small steps... Be kind to yourself!

I didn't work, Friday, yesterday, today. I feel I need to look after myself, regardless of needing the money desperately! I had a great, supportive time Thursday with my homeopath friend. Saturday with another friend and Sunday with yet another friend. Yesterday and today, I am working on a friend's new website: editing it. So been surrounding myself with my support network. I only recently allowed myself to say: HELP! I need you! Another remnant caused by my mother gone now... Onwards, upwards!

Currently thinking that I need to write it all away from me, to deal with the deep seated trauma caused by my now deceased mother. I can be very aggressive with words! Writing has always been a great release and form of expression for me. I recently found my childhood writings, poems, short stories, song texts... I am going to read them, then pen down my feelings... Amplify them, then deal with them. I may scatter their ashes where mum's ashes were scattered, on the moors behind my sister's house...
Mar 2022
2:21pm, 1 Mar 2022
2,913 posts
  •  
panad
That sounds good TT 😁
As Hanneke says, small steps and be kind to yourself!

I have similar problems Hanneke - physical health issues which i very much suspect are resulting ultimately from mental health problems caused by, in my case, psychologically abusive father and damaging family dynamic growing up. It’s only in the last 6 months that i’ve even realised how abusive he actually was - rather than that just being how fathers/parents are..i knew no different, i thought my experience was normal.

Have you read any of Lucia Osbourne
-Crowley’s work? I came across I Choose Elena and it blew my mind away and have since read My Body Keeps Your Secrets.

Trying to work through all the ‘shit’, childhood flashbacks (until recently i just had very few memories of my childhood at all), and to be honest just function is exhausting 😢
Mar 2022
2:24pm, 1 Mar 2022
86,423 posts
  •  
Hanneke
I hear you Panad!
For the first time last Thursday did I dare express what my mother was: evil and abusive! Just not physically... Well, actually, by forcing me on a starvation diet through my teens and first year at uni, she has done physical damage!
Mar 2022
2:28pm, 1 Mar 2022
2,915 posts
  •  
panad
Sounds so similar Hanneke, i’m sorry! As we’ve now both said to TT - small steps and be kind to yourself!
Mar 2022
2:29pm, 1 Mar 2022
86,424 posts
  •  
Hanneke
I haven't read any of those books Panad, I will have a look at them.
Have you read: When the Body Says NO! by Gabor Maté? I found it extremely insightful and helpful when my sister was dying of breast cancer, she survived, and I was also diagnosed with the BRCA1 gene. My physical expression is really different from my sister's. Which is interesting but not surprising!
She gets cancer, I get inflammation... I have lived with severe chronic pain and auto-immune disorders all my life... But this is now improving, as I am tackling it bit by bit...
Mar 2022
2:41pm, 1 Mar 2022
86,425 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Indeed, that should be our mantra:
Small steps
Be KIND to yourself

🙏
Mar 2022
4:11pm, 1 Mar 2022
8,969 posts
  •  
The Terminator
Thanks guys. Yes I am trying to be kind to myself and my inner child. I get completely what you both mean H and P. When I talk about the reasons behind my behaviours they are deeply rooted in childhood trauma so am trying to use that as a positive. The behaviours have caused me guilt for so long and now I am reminding myself constantly why they are happening and trying to cwtch my inner child as often as possible. This song helps with that...

open.spotify.com

I have also been doing a lot of writing H. All good strategies.

Every day's a battle. Some you win...

Take care both. Keep talking x
Mar 2022
5:12pm, 1 Mar 2022
86,432 posts
  •  
Hanneke
I have just sung, with my mum's little stereo, not THAT loud, but my voice carries, especially singing classical, Stabat Mater by Pergolesi. Pretty cathartic! I should get back into music. I have a distinct feeling that, once my building is ready, all log jams are gone and I can finally live MY life, uninhibited... But I have a few more obstacles in the way that need clearing...
Mar 2022
5:20pm, 1 Mar 2022
36,937 posts
  •  
halfpint
Hey all. I’m relatively ok at the moment.

I have to agree that having an understanding of what sits beneath my thoughts and feelings helps enormously. It doesn’t always stop them but easier to stop the spiral downwards. Training as a psychologist opened up a lot of stuff and it was a real journey to understanding myself better.
D
Mar 2022
8:40pm, 1 Mar 2022
1,509 posts
  •  
D
Guys has anyone been successful in claiming PIP with a mental health issue? Feel free to FMail me if you'd prefer.

To cut a very long story very short.
I was diagnosed Bipolar May 2014. Was medicating but getting no where. Had my diagnosis changed in Novemer to Complex PTSD, mental health unit essentially said that whilst EMDR therepy was really successful the NHS waiting list was years long and the MHU couldn't help me. So it looks like I've got to go private.
Was told by a colleague that I should be able to claim PIP, but not looked at it yet... If successful the money would be useful to pay for therapy.

TIA

About This Thread

Maintained by MaT.T
Share, connect, talk, listen, advise. Just don't struggle alone.