Menopause and running

144 watchers
Sep 2021
5:19pm, 18 Sep 2021
5,612 posts
  •  
TheScribbler
Thanks Vrap and AutumnLeaves. I’ve been using 1% hydrocortisone very sparingly.
Sep 2021
5:53pm, 18 Sep 2021
3,253 posts
  •  
Tom Tom
Room for one more? Have bitten the bullet and booked a telephone consultation with the GP for the 29th (they can't do any earlier). I'm not 100% I'll qualify for HRT as am still getting regular periods and no hot flushes as such. But my periods are a noticeably shorter and heavier now, I can't remember when I last slept all the way through the night (plus numerous night sweats) and I constantly feel warm rather than being a bit of a cold morsel as usual. Anxiety, low mood and brain fog worsening at times as well.
Getting older is absolute pants, but I suppose it's better than the alternative...
Sep 2021
6:10pm, 18 Sep 2021
23,216 posts
  •  
Serendippily
My doctor recommended the patches because I may or may not have stopped menstruating yet. Flushes are becoming more often and more heated and earlier this week I only put one contact lens in and it took me an hour to realise which is a definite increase in brain fog
Sep 2021
7:18pm, 18 Sep 2021
49,693 posts
  •  
LindsD
Tom Tom I think night sweats are hot flushes at night but I could be wrong. And welcome
Sep 2021
9:55pm, 18 Sep 2021
3,255 posts
  •  
Tom Tom
Thanks LD. They could well be. Hopefully the GP can suggest something to try to lessen them, they're dreadful.
Sep 2021
11:26pm, 18 Sep 2021
23,219 posts
  •  
Serendippily
I am mostly retiring to sleep on sofa in spare room as mrS is getting so little sleep and the least thing wakes him up. This has the advantage of bring right next to a window and I find if I stick my arm out I feel better at once. Lord knows what the neighbours think, eh
Sep 2021
5:57am, 19 Sep 2021
4,964 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Tom Tom - I used to same the same (getting old being better than the alternative) but I'm increasingly unsure. :-(

Just started the fourth week of HRT and I think it may be having a positive effect on my anxiety and mood. Could be coincidence or placebo of course but as long as it continues I don't care. Doesn't seem to be much improvement in the random aches and pains.
Sep 2021
7:29am, 19 Sep 2021
14,032 posts
  •  
mulbs
One month in and my hot flushes are much reduced and I'm mostly sleeping better. I don't feel like I've bags more energy like my two closest pals reported, but there are definite positives and no negatives that I can see x
Sep 2021
7:33am, 19 Sep 2021
3,256 posts
  •  
Tom Tom
That's encouraging to read. I'm trying not to expect miracles if I do qualify for HRT, but me being me, I will be having high hopes!
Sep 2021
11:13am, 19 Sep 2021
4,965 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Sleeping better has to help mulbs. For various other reasons I can't tell if mine has had much of a beneficial effect on my sleep yet. I'd like bags more energy too but that could still be on the way I guess. :-)

Tom Tom - I was surprised how amenable my GP was to prescribing it for me as I really didn't think that I was 'bad enough'. I was asked which type I'd prefer so worth doing some research if you haven't already.

About This Thread

Last July a blood test indicated that I was going through the menopause (GP did it as due to using D...

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.