Menopause and running

144 watchers
Mar 2021
3:13pm, 19 Mar 2021
51,948 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Aye, remember that the one thing that can be guaranteed is that we won't get younger if we wait.
Mar 2021
3:54pm, 19 Mar 2021
21,285 posts
  •  
Serendippily
Flushes hitting me every night but I’m such a sleeper I boil briefly then go back to sleep. I am not obviously angrier or more hormonal than usual: how do I tell?
CK2
Mar 2021
9:28am, 20 Mar 2021
729 posts
  •  
CK2
My flushes seem to have re-emerged which is frustrating as I’m definitely menopausal not peri. Fortunately only at night and not terrible like many people. I didn’t get the muscle ache but recovery from injury is significantly slower. Thanks for the encouragement Sharkie - I’ll never be fast or particularly strong but at least I keep up the training 💪
Mar 2021
9:58am, 20 Mar 2021
7,485 posts
  •  
TeeBee
CK2, I think you and I are in exactly the same place!
Mar 2021
10:41am, 20 Mar 2021
9,222 posts
  •  
Sweetie
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.
I hadn't realised how much it was all getting to me until I posted here yesterday and promptly burst into tears!
I think a chat with the GP about possibly starting HRT is the way to go, I always felt a bit negative towards HRT, like you're medicalising a natural process, but now I'm thinking why on earth suffer with symptoms when there's a potentially a solution?
Mar 2021
10:46am, 20 Mar 2021
45,772 posts
  •  
LindsD
That's how I felt Sweetie. And that somehow it was anti feminist (wtf?)

The symptomatic relief was life changing for me.
Mar 2021
10:59am, 20 Mar 2021
51,954 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Menopause is only a natural process because most women don't die of childbirth, tuberculosis or exhaustion in their twenties. And "natural" is a weaselly concept anyway.
Mar 2021
11:19am, 20 Mar 2021
45,774 posts
  •  
LindsD
*applauds*
Mar 2021
11:44am, 20 Mar 2021
71,622 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Sweetie, I was cycling, seriously, when it hit me. It affected my whole ability to work, art dealer, and race, physically and mentally. The hormonal shit storm affected my intellectual abilities, physical and mental health.
I was offered HRT, mirena coil, hysterectomy, radical hysterectomy. Then, suddenly, after a couple of years and before I was scheduled for removal of all my female bits, it was all over. All that remains 11 years later is the odd, mild, 30 second hot flush. I doubt that will ever go. I have girlfriends in their 70s and 80s that still get those.
My best performance year ever was 2012. Racing and winning on an international level, against women that could have been my daughters and in a team of future olympians and world champions.
I was even signed by a professional MTB race team. But... Then I got Lyme Disease...
Anyway, what my experience illustrates is: yes, it is very debilitating. Yes, you must reach out! And yes, it does pass!
I had the most terrible pains in all my bones and I was so stiff, I could not teach yoga... Hang in there xx
Mar 2021
11:49am, 20 Mar 2021
71,623 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Oh and: grab whatever you can to alleviate symptoms. Sadly hrt etc only made me worse, but as others have said, can be life changing. Why not use what we have available to make us feel better? And that come from a naturopath. Nowt wrong with using pharmaceuticals AND herbs and diet to feel balanced! Sage tea alone (good for hot flushes) doesn't cut it!
And a problem shared is a problem halved! We have all been there!
That first step to my GP after a year of suffering, realising it was pretty abnormal what I was going through ... Do not grin and bear it! I thought I was being a wimp.

About This Thread

Last July a blood test indicated that I was going through the menopause (GP did it as due to using D...

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.