Menopause and running

1 lurker | 144 watchers
Mar 2021
8:56am, 19 Mar 2021
2,236 posts
  •  
PenW
Thank you for that book recommendation phal. Have just bought it :-)

Has anyone else had muscle and joint aches/soreness from peri menopause? I’m getting a lot of this and not recovering well from training (or anything really). I was wondering if it might be hormonal or whether it’s stress or some other cause (or of course a combination).

I’ve ditched the oats in case it might be them (I’m coeliac and did get quite a bit of sore joints/inflammation prior to going gluten free) and oats can affect some coeliacs. I don’t think I have unknowingly ingested gluten 🤔
Mar 2021
9:01am, 19 Mar 2021
45,746 posts
  •  
LindsD
I have been a total bag of niggles since I started peri menopause and my physio said she sees it a lot. Are you getting enough vit D? Mine was v low.
Mar 2021
9:04am, 19 Mar 2021
2,237 posts
  •  
PenW
I take a daily vit D supplement and have done for a couple of years since I had very low vit D levels. I don’t know what my current levels are. Similarly I often struggle with low iron levels (not anaemic or clinically low but on the low side - low iron was my main coeliac symptom).

I keep meaning to get a GP appointment but it can all feel so vague so not easy to know exactly what to ask for.
Mar 2021
9:45am, 19 Mar 2021
2,060 posts
  •  
Grast_girl
PenW, if you're taking iron it's a good idea to take them with orange juice and then wait a bit before having breakfast or drinking tea. The vitamin C helps it get absorbed. Tea and milk do the opposite.
Mar 2021
10:56am, 19 Mar 2021
16,378 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
PenW - I had a lot of muscle and joint pain - mostly in my hips. It was one thing that HRT seemed to really help with.
Mar 2021
2:32pm, 19 Mar 2021
9,216 posts
  •  
Sweetie
*delurks*
Hi all, this is my first post on this thread, although I have been reading with interest for a little while.
Regarding the muscle / joint aches, for those a little further along the menopause process, have you found that this is something that eventually passes or is that life now?! (any glimmer of hope would be appreciated!)
I wasn't aware of any peri-menopausal symptoms until 5 months ago when my periods suddenly stopped completely and the symptoms have hit me like a ton of bricks, everything aches, I'm either swelteringly hot or freezing cold and completely exhausted all the time.

I really appreciate having this thread to refer to so that I don't feel so alone with it all!
Mar 2021
2:43pm, 19 Mar 2021
16,380 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
Hi Sweetie. Much of that has really eased, and HRT cleared up many symptoms. I still have a few but much easier to cope with! The aches and pains have really eased.
Mar 2021
3:00pm, 19 Mar 2021
51,946 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I never got the muscle/joint aches and haven't noticed any difference in the resilience of my musculoskeletal system apart from a scraggly bit of knee that is unrelated to the menopause.
Mar 2021
3:10pm, 19 Mar 2021
17,674 posts
  •  
Sharkie
Thought I'd pop in with a few words of encouragement and reassurance.

I think my peri meno started when I was around 50 and it hit me - like you, Sweetie, load of bricks case. I really wasn't expecting it to be much at all and thought I would sail through. Ha ha. Every symptom going. Fortunately I had a sympathetic and clued up GP who prescribed HRT (and a shortish course of anti-Ds when I was at my worst)

The HRT helped immediately and I continued to take it for (I think) about three years. Perhaps more.

In my mid 50s - no more HRT - I started training harder than I ever had. All my PBs (and they were good ones) were when I was 58. OK, you can't stop the ageing process but I think mid to late 50s can be a golden age for many women. No more bloody periods, no more bloody mood swings ... and definitely NOT a constant parade of niggles. Not for me anyway.

But keep up with the resistance training ladies!
Mar 2021
3:12pm, 19 Mar 2021
17,675 posts
  •  
Sharkie
And make the most of it training and exercise wise - cos post 60 it gets harder. Not impossible, but harder.

About This Thread

Last July a blood test indicated that I was going through the menopause (GP did it as due to using D...

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.