MDS - Marathon Des Sables

12 watchers
Apr 2018
7:07am, 25 Apr 2018
48,308 posts
  •  
swittle
Spine series? Quite tough enough and you'll not need your passport.
Apr 2018
8:52am, 25 Apr 2018
8,375 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
Thanks both I’m far from a strong runner but would like to do something a bit crazy I do think this is beyond crazy haha.

I do need something that’s not about speed or crazy cut offs you’re right lots out here to try. When I was in Oman they had a desert race which triggered the thinking then saw a lady who took up running to do the MdS this year and I thought maybe...

Really though I need to get back post broken foot and then work on some decent training and then look for a challenge for the big 5-0!

Thanks again.
Apr 2018
8:52am, 25 Apr 2018
8,376 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
Thanks both I’m far from a strong runner but would like to do something a bit crazy I do think this is beyond crazy haha.

I do need something that’s not about speed or crazy cut offs you’re right lots out here to try. When I was in Oman they had a desert race which triggered the thinking then saw a lady who took up running to do the MdS this year and I thought maybe...

Really though I need to get back post broken foot and then work on some decent training and then look for a challenge for the big 5-0!

Thanks again.
Feb 2021
10:49am, 7 Feb 2021
479 posts
  •  
Mascott
Well, I true stupid runner style I have entered for 2022.

I am 50 this year so its a treat - normally I mutter spending £30 on a race!

Really looking forward to planning it out, and the training will be a huge challenge, but I want to take it on confident I can do the miles, so I can focus on the other numerous challenges it throws up.

First challenge I have is that I am currently out with a fractured Pelvis, but hey ho I am walking now- so hopefully returning soon.

Top tips welcome of course
Apr 2023
5:27pm, 10 Apr 2023
20,184 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
Seems 5yrs on I’ve found a maybe more manageable challenge… just booked for Jordan next April. 2 day back to back marathon round Wadi Rum.

It seems fairly safe option for a newbie Ultra Challenge is putting it on for the first time and doing it with a friend - on the premise that this is her wishlist to go to Jordan maybe we can do Oman in the future.

So any top tips/advice on training for the heat and humidity and running on the soft stuff would be hugely appreciated from you far more experienced MdS runners. Exciting
Apr 2023
6:32pm, 10 Apr 2023
3,272 posts
  •  
Ally-C
Wadi Rum is great, slept a night outside a Bedouin Camp there years ago, magnificent night sky.
Apr 2023
1:36pm, 11 Apr 2023
20,192 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
I am very excited and looking forward to it, just need to start thinking about planning my training and I expect working on heat training (hard in the NE and England in general) and also additional strength work I may need to think about.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Alexv
I have started the topic for anyone doing the MDS or has done the MDS. I have a place for 2013 and...