Mastic Blast Drink

13 watchers
Feb 2012
4:57pm, 18 Feb 2012
18,071 posts
  •  
ogee
As an Ultra runner, i'm always looking out for something that gives me extra energy, send me some samples & I can give you some real feedback as to it's restoritive powers. As it goes, send enough for 34 Ultra runners & we can all give it a thorough testing at one of the countrys hardest ultra events.

Oh & i've ran already today & heading out shortly for another 20 miles.
Feb 2012
5:04pm, 18 Feb 2012
11,591 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
I have yet to see any real science supporting any of the commercially available supplements suggesting a real increase in athletic ability (not an arbitrarily chosen proxy marker).
I have nothing against Mastic Blast, I have problems with people presenting pseudo science as genuine research.
Feb 2012
5:09pm, 18 Feb 2012
5,188 posts
  •  
Binks
Arrrggghhhh. All this reading and thinking about nutrition is burning precious calories which will impair my running performance..

Don't really go for the "science" food myself and though I'll admit I am no good ambassador for healthy eating I do believe that distance running can be fueled on "normal" foods.

If I am being good I'll run on fruit juice, smoothies, milkshake (supermarket branded or the Frijj ones if they are on offer, I am not paying £1.50 for something with added vitamins) and sweets, salty snacks etc. Guinness is a great recovery drink.

If I'm not being so good I'll add a few big-macs to all that.

In races I'll eat whatever is on the tables, whether its energy drink, gels, pork pies etc.

The only manufactured sports thing I take is electrolyte solution which I only have for races over 24 hours or in hot conditions.

I reckon all this sports stuff might work marginally better than normal food but the cost is too high. I doubt also whether there is any real difference between any of them. It's like washing powder, you are paying for the marketing. I'd rather have more money to go out and run in places. And go to the pub.
Feb 2012
5:19pm, 18 Feb 2012
13,754 posts
  •  
Stumpy
Exactly. In vitro metrics are meaningless unless they are reflected in actual outcomes measures of performance, in proper, controlled studies in people.

LWS sorry you took offence. The advice about getting more information and about lining up and clarifying your communications was actually well intentioned (i work in marketing. The first thing is to understand what you are selling). If you have invested money I sincerely want you to have the best chance with your business. I never said I work on sports drinks, i said I work for a company that makes them. I work in a totally different area as sports drinks are a relatively small part of a very large and varied company. However it does mean I know the investment my company makes in research and data and some of the ways outcomes should be considered. And despite that, if you had seen other posts I have made about recovery drinks, you'd see I think that for the average runner under average circumstances a pint of milk is the best option. For elites or in extraordinary circumstances, yes, it can make the difference. But for most of us mortals, milk will do the job well as a recovery drink. So no, it isn't a vested interest or defence against a new competitor that concerns me. Just basic good scientific practice.

An energy shot drink is something different but you started out talking about a recovery drink. Again, which is it?
Feb 2012
5:35pm, 18 Feb 2012
11,592 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
And as a final point, real science is not commercially sensitive. It stands up to scrutiny and welcomes criticism.
It is not kept quiet in case someone actually wants to read it.
Feb 2012
5:39pm, 18 Feb 2012
20,313 posts
  •  
Nellers
I have to say that if the workings of this drink are secret I'm not even interested in trying a free sample, let alone buying any.

Like I said earlier, try your patter on Realbuzz. They go in for detox and all sorts on there. You might find a less critical audience and make some sales.
Feb 2012
6:36pm, 18 Feb 2012
39,392 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
Blimey

Good luck with your sub 40 10k LWS
Jul 2012
10:50am, 8 Jul 2012
21,797 posts
  •  
Nellers
Has anyone actually seen this stuff on sale or being advertised yet? I just checked the FB page. 46 likes isn't going to make anyone rich is it?
Jul 2012
11:47am, 8 Jul 2012
13,336 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
My diet consists entirely of Mastic Blast and sunshine.
Jul 2012
11:57am, 8 Jul 2012
232 posts
  •  
Winded
This stuff is made by a company called "Impact Fusion" - which has a certain irony as I'd be more likely to buy something called Impact Fusion.
The press release seems to have been copied wholesale by Bloomberg

bloomberg.com
I'm struck by ""The Egyptians are known to have used Mastic resin used as a preservative and a breath sweetener. Mastic oil was mentioned by Dioskourides in ancient Grecian times and by Christopher Columbus in 1493. Mastic resin is still used as a flavoring in some Greek alcoholic beverages (eg, retsina wine) and in chewing gum from Chios. Mastic Gum aids in the conversion of ammonia to the urea filtering system in the blood and promotes the formation of Bifidius bacteria in the digestive system."" So how could any of you doubt it'll make you run faster?

About This Thread

The best recovery drink (probably), Mastic blast is a new from the States recovery drink that could ...