•  
rwelpton
Are they any good? Keep seeing them advertised, just wondered
Jul 2020
7:16pm, 25 Jul 2020
556 posts
  •  
CreatureOfTheHill
Can be quite good, we have one and find it useful for some stuff.

Was worth the relatively cheap investment. Still use traditional massage and a foam roller, but it can be good for certain spots, or when you cannot use something/someone else.
Jul 2020
7:18pm, 25 Jul 2020
2,248 posts
  •  
idle_wilder
I got one of the cheaper versions from Amazon (about £50-60?) and I really like it for the bits I can't really foam roll easily (shoulders, upper back, full quad etc). My PT doesn't really rate them as they don't reach deep enough for him (he's a larger strongman type build). Cat also loves getting a neck massage on the lowest setting! :)
Jul 2020
7:27pm, 25 Jul 2020
1,715 posts
  •  
auburnette
We've got a theragun, it's really good, probably should use it more. Not a total substitute for a really good sports massage but certainly helps. Speeds up recovery too.
Jul 2020
11:49am, 27 Jul 2020
275 posts
  •  
SooWoo
They keep popping up on my Facebook feed!
Jul 2020
1:01pm, 27 Jul 2020
1,905 posts
  •  
CumbriAndy
Mrs CA has one of these

amazon.co.uk

Uses it after every run and finds it very helpful - she's working her way up to marathon distance and it's going well. Every other time she's tried that step up she's failed due to overuse injuries before reaching the point she's now at.

I'm more sceptical but since I never visit physios/therapists unless I'm broken, I'm finding the chance to get at occasional tight areas to be welcome.
Jul 2020
3:09pm, 27 Jul 2020
751 posts
  •  
Reinhold Messner
A very poor substitute for a proper therapist of course, but in most cases better than nothing.

The challenge would be getting your muscles into the right position (ie properly relaxed) to work on them, or finding someone who knows how to position you if they’re wielding the gun. Just hammering about without knowing what you’re doing doesn’t seem like a good idea.
Aug 2020
12:36pm, 1 Aug 2020
13,538 posts
  •  
Garfield
We bought one many years ago (20+) and it gets use occasionally when I can't yoga my way out of some muscular niggles.
Aug 2020
12:33pm, 24 Aug 2020
326 posts
  •  
whiteflash
I think I might go for one of these but cannot decide whether to go with an expensive version or just a cheap one off Amazon.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by rwelpton
Are they any good? Keep seeing them advertised, just wondered