Maravan cleethorpes 25 and 26 November 2023

10 watchers
Oct 2021
9:41am, 11 Oct 2021
21,318 posts
  •  
DeeGee
I forgot as well, turned up with my family in the afternoon wanting to swim at the leisure centre and had a bit of a job getting a space. We need to park in the leisure centre car park for the leisure centre as our membership comes with a parking permit.
Oct 2021
2:34pm, 11 Oct 2021
21,321 posts
  •  
DeeGee
So, I've just ordered 2000 compostable cups.

One year, I'll go cupless, but this isn't the year, because if I do, then Norma's got to handle everyone's personal cups, and although I'm not utterly convinced by fomites and covid, it's not fair to subject "Maravan Mum" to the additional risk.

Thing is, something I've long been proud of is our feeding station with something for everyone, some vegan, some nut free, some gluten free (although I'm always going to proper struggle not having cross-contamination, nature of the beast), some sweet, some savoury...

But I don't think anyone wants to be grabbing handfuls of nuts that are covered in the bodily secretions of other runners this year, so I'm going to see how putting portions of snacks into paper espresso cups and the like is going to work. Or perhaps little bundles of sweets wrapped in blue-roll...?
Oct 2021
2:00pm, 12 Oct 2021
426 posts
  •  
riggys99
Looking forward to sampling the feed station ๐Ÿ˜

Thanks for all your hard work organising this event
Nov 2021
2:56pm, 9 Nov 2021
514 posts
  •  
riggys99
Taper was started early due to a bit of lurgy but feeling a lot better now. A 40:46 10k at a windy Gainsborough and Morton was ok and a good run out in the trainers I will be wearing on marathon day. Last long run done on Monday (13 miles). One more effort session to do on Saturday (mile efforts on cleethorpes beach) and then itโ€™s rest and recovery

Hope everyone is doing well and got the training in they wanted
Nov 2021
3:06pm, 9 Nov 2021
21,421 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Cool!

I'll be in Cleethorpes most of this weekend. I've got some parkrun business to take care of, and then after lunch I'll be marking the course up and checking there are no nasty surprises, so if you fancy a trot round during the week to get a feel for the course (it's well signposted but you need your wits about you) it'll be there.

In previous years the nasty surprises discovered the weekend before have included roads dug up and replaced with caravans, and a gate permanently sealed shut! Hoping for nothing like that this time.

Next Friday I'm on the park after lunch throwing flour onto the road surface and receiving toilets, and once that's done I'm treating myself to a well-earned pint at the Premier Inn.

It's getting very exciting now. See you in 11 days.
Nov 2021
9:44am, 10 Nov 2021
517 posts
  •  
riggys99
Sounds like lots to do hope it all goes well and not too many surprises

Might have a run around on Sunday
Nov 2021
6:56am, 15 Nov 2021
533 posts
  •  
riggys99
Did my last interval session of this marathon block on Saturday a nice set of efforts on the beach at cleethorpes.

On Sunday ran some of the race loop.
Looking forward to Saturday morning.
Nov 2021
8:49am, 15 Nov 2021
21,450 posts
  •  
DeeGee
No nasty surprises. The gravel bit between the golf course and the grass bank is a bit mashed up and I struggled finding a line for pulling a heavy trolley on, but apart from that it's all good.

There's even a new gate from Long Beach to the flytip layby which will very slightly improve things.

I've got Friday off work for final checks.
Nov 2021
8:53am, 15 Nov 2021
534 posts
  •  
riggys99
Bit muddy on the bend as you come off the golf course bit (just past the donkeys but i run that way a lot when I am at the van and it nearly always is even in summer. Nice varied route for a multi lap race
Nov 2021
9:26am, 15 Nov 2021
8,402 posts
  •  
becca7
Actual donkeys? Are they new or have I somehow missed them in 70 previous laps?

About This Thread

Maintained by riggys99
Re started the thread for the 2023 edition of this great event.