Maravan cleethorpes 25 and 26 November 2023

10 watchers
Jun 2021
12:54pm, 1 Jun 2021
185 posts
  •  
riggys99
Thought I would start a thread for anyone who is doing any of the events on the Maravan weekend in cleethorpes. If anyone who has done it before has any advice etc please also post on here
Jun 2021
12:54pm, 1 Jun 2021
186 posts
  •  
riggys99
I am doing the marathon on Saturday
Jun 2021
2:17pm, 1 Jun 2021
3,959 posts
  •  
jabberknit
I've entered both marathons and my OH, Fetchie rjb, is doing the half. becca7 usually does both maras too. Lovely event, low-key and relaxed, really enjoy it - what's not to like about a wild weekend running round a massive caravan park in Cleethorpes at the back end of November?!
Jun 2021
2:32pm, 1 Jun 2021
8,336 posts
  •  
becca7
As jk said, I’m a regular and have done the Saturday and Sunday double five times. It’s a nice, varied lap and the event has a good atmosphere. I’m entered for this year too.
Jun 2021
2:35pm, 1 Jun 2021
6,723 posts
  •  
minardi
I'm doing Sunday
Jun 2021
2:38pm, 1 Jun 2021
193 posts
  •  
riggys99
I feel a lightweight just doing the Saturday 😁
Jun 2021
2:01pm, 7 Jun 2021
20,900 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Hello!

Thought I ought to drop in here!

It's potentially a *little* bit bigger this year as I had committed to chip timing last year for COVID mitigation, last year with the rain and the 35 relay teams was the absolute maximum that I could manage as a one-man-band, and I need to try and scrabble back some of the out-of-my-own-pocket costs of cancellation last year!

I'm committed to not making things too big, though, every time I've added something it's been in response to me wanting to make the event more polished without compromising on the friendliness.

I'm hoping things won't be too weird this year, Norma's champing at the bit to get back to serving you all cake, and tea and coffee, and beer will be from a local brewer like last year.

I absolutely adore looking after you all, each and every year. It's the most knackered that I have ever been but it's our event, it's got better every year and I'm so looking forward to it coming back for 2021.

If you'll excuse me the plug...

evententry.co.uk

Any questions, you know where I am!
Jun 2021
2:16pm, 7 Jun 2021
208 posts
  •  
riggys99
Welcome DeeGee feel free to plug away. Looking forward to this race thanks for putting it on.
Jul 2021
12:08am, 17 Jul 2021
254 posts
  •  
riggys99
Had a email from Haven the other day saying they were extending the season to November will this affect the race
Jul 2021
9:05am, 19 Jul 2021
21,116 posts
  •  
DeeGee
It shouldn't do. I certainly haven't had any notifications from them to suggest otherwise. Perhaps it might make accommodation a bit more abundant?

The race 'village' is located in the touring campsite, usually in the area set aside for motorhomes, and in reality much of the course is actually nowhere near the mobile homes. KM1 is through the holiday park, KM2 runs though the touring campsite, a car park, and a (different) bungalow park via the back of the entertainment centre, KM3 finishes the bungalow park, runs alongside one of the main, low speed, traffic calmed roads around the park and onto the golf course, KM4 finishes the golf course, runs along a short section of public footpath off the park, a grass bank alongside a beck, and then does a short run up along some caravans, back the other side of the beck, and then along a pavement alongside the "main road" opposite park reception and caravan sales, and KM5 takes you through about 200m of caravans, a short stretch of service road, and then via a marshalled road crossing, onto a pavement alongside the main access road to the park, bungalows and yacht club and back to the start.

Traffic levels might be a little higher, but the only places where there are a conflict usually is during the first kilometre and along the route to the touring park, but traffic is low speed at this point and we're running mainly in the direction of travel.

They've held races on the park during the shoulder season before, so I can't see there being an issue.

About This Thread

Maintained by riggys99
Re started the thread for the 2023 edition of this great event.