Marathons abroad

103 watchers
Oct 2020
12:36pm, 7 Oct 2020
19,859 posts
  •  
DeeGee
So, after work this afternoon, I was going to collect my luggage and go to the Hampton hotel next to Humberside International Airport, where I was planning on having a nice meal and a couple of pints before turning in for an earlyish night in anticipation of a 6.10am flight to Schiphol and the first leg of a transatlantic journey.

But I'm not.

Still coveting some international marathon action, though. What do we reckon the chances of stuff starting to come back online again by May?
Oct 2020
12:41pm, 7 Oct 2020
17,802 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
DG, I think its way too early to know what will happen next week, far less May. We have just put all travel plans on hold until the situation becomes clearer although we do have a postponed break in August 2021 organised.
Oct 2020
1:24pm, 7 Oct 2020
19,860 posts
  •  
DeeGee
To be fair, there isn't much on offer. Organisers seem to be keeping their powder dry at the minute.

I'm making provisional, fully-cancellable bookings for Chicago 2021 at the minute, but given how mismanaged the Covid response has been over there, I'd say that there's likely to be quite a long tail in the USA.

I'm struggling somewhat with the idea that I can't just leave the country at will right now.
Oct 2020
3:10pm, 7 Oct 2020
87 posts
  •  
wardi
My Barca marathon place from March this year was carried over to October, which as you can guess has also been called off. They have done similar to London and skipped the usual spring slot in 2021 and re-arranged for November next year. TBF they have offered refunds and haven't charged any deferral fees.
Oct 2020
9:10pm, 11 Oct 2020
34,209 posts
  •  
Foxy
I see Warsaw went ahead & a week later Poland recorded it's highest daily number of Covid cases !! :(
Oct 2020
6:29pm, 12 Oct 2020
51,086 posts
  •  
Dr PhFleecyD
Everywhere is on an upward trend though...
Oct 2020
8:02pm, 12 Oct 2020
1,149 posts
  •  
roberton
wardi: I also had a Barcelona place. And I had a London place... feast -> famine

I’ve gone for autumn 2021 for Barcelona and Spring 2022 for London. That’s perfect if I can find somewhere to do one in Spring next year, which seems unlikely atm 😢
Oct 2020
9:20am, 13 Oct 2020
19,873 posts
  •  
DeeGee
I have a feeling that I might have to declare my hand for Chicago when they open entries, which if memory serves, is in November. Very much in two minds whether to go for 2021 or 2022, and keep local next year.

Most of next year's Spring marathons are too early for me to have any faith in them being on.
Oct 2020
9:43am, 13 Oct 2020
88 posts
  •  
wardi
Roberton.. I do have a GFA place from 2019 so intend to apply for London 2021 later this month. If that is successful and covid is gone by next autumn I will have London & Barca 5 weeks apart. 🤔 I've run Barca 4 times and actually prefer it to London.
Oct 2020
6:38pm, 17 Oct 2020
1,151 posts
  •  
roberton
wardi: four times, nice!
I decided against trying to do both 5 weeks apart, not so much for the marathon side of things but more to reduce the travelling and juggling accommodation. Great to know that you think it is such a good one though.

I've just joined a gym for the first time in 10 years. If nothing proper is on, for a Spring marathon I might try one on a treadmill 😂

(Btw, I did travel to Barcelona in March for the weekend, my first taste of lockdown)

About This Thread

Maintained by Naomi P
Thread for everyone who wants to run a road marathon outside the UK. Everyone welcome, first timers to old hands :-)

List of holiday suggestions here ;-) Feel free to add races and comments
http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=438

And a couple of websites with useful info:
Marathon guide is brilliant for US maras but has the most comprehensive European list I've ever seen marathonguide.com
This is the AIMS site distancerunning.co.uk