Marathons abroad

103 watchers
Apr 2022
1:07pm, 17 Apr 2022
14,854 posts
  •  
IT GRANNY 🇮🇸
What’s the best Italian marathon for PB possibly?

Turin is quite flat.
Apr 2022
3:41pm, 17 Apr 2022
687 posts
  •  
Shades
HOD - I've only done one Italian marathon, Florence, been there twice, and it is a fast course.

Usually perfect conditions as end of November.
Apr 2022
10:15pm, 17 Apr 2022
2,014 posts
  •  
Brunski
What’s the best Italian marathon for PB possibly?

Rome was pretty flat, just a few cobbles toward the end. I read about a hill in the last mile or so but that wasn't anything more than the exit from one of the subways at London.

My strava says it had 413ft of elevation. Pacers with balloons, the fastest was a 2:48 group.
Apr 2022
11:34pm, 17 Apr 2022
14,857 posts
  •  
IT GRANNY 🇮🇸
I would not say Rome is good for a PB because of the cobbles as well as course congestion.
But I did it in a massive 4 hour long thunderstorm so it was very slippy.

Come to think of it Pisa is pretty flat but alsp congested for first 5k. I only ran the half in 2014 (got a pb though that still stands). It had pacers. The problem was that the family fun run, half and marathon all start together with no pens or guidance start lines. No startline toilets either!
May 2022
8:02am, 16 May 2022
36,300 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
I’m back on thread run Salzburg yesterday great course except they move finish uphill 🤷🏻‍♂️ Which is same after lap 1. It was 25 degrees which is too much for me so a 1.46 expected similar turned out to be 1.56 as
The heat got to me. Also since last time I’ve done this it’s moved 2 weeks to mid May not early I last did on my birthday 2018 6th. Still hot but bareable. So a 3.32-35 turned into a 3.44.

Florence looks good maybe for next year is there any flat spring ones that ain’t too warm (Spain is probably a bad idea).
May 2022
8:09am, 16 May 2022
1,747 posts
  •  
Big_G
Seville is in February and is flat and fast, and it was perfect conditions for me this year as someone who also doesn’t like it too warm. I blogged about it this year, if you’re interested. I did Rotterdam one year, but personally I wouldn’t rush back to that one, although it’s a quick course (I know others may love it though). Barcelona is a quick course too, and is probably still my favourite foreign marathon that I’ve done.
May 2022
8:16am, 16 May 2022
36,301 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
What weather like in Spain Feb/March G ?

What’s wrong with Rotterdam
May 2022
8:35am, 16 May 2022
1,748 posts
  •  
Big_G
When I did Seville it was perfect conditions, and also when I did Barcelona in 2018 the conditions were good. But I did read elsewhere that Seville can be hot, even in February, but it was perfect for me this year.

Rotterdam is a flat course and definitely a good one for a PB. Personally I had issues with the bag drop (shambles, basically), and because it was at the back of all the pens, I had to get past 100s of runners to get to the pen, and some spectators were also hanging around in the start area making it even busier. It’s an interesting city though, and I am glad I visited it, but also the course I didn’t feel was that inspiring. On the other hand, I know some others love the race, so mine is just one opinion, and maybe I was just unlucky. But Seville’s organisation was much better I felt, with the only slight downside being that the expo was about 45-60mins out of the centre, using the busses.

For Barcelona, when I did it, the expo, start and finish were in the same place, with a metro right there, so really easy in terms of logistics, and during the race you see a lot of the sights of what I think is a great city.
jda
May 2022
8:36am, 16 May 2022
12,533 posts
  •  
jda
Vienna’s nice but can be getting warm by late April, especially coming off a UK winter.
jda
May 2022
8:39am, 16 May 2022
12,534 posts
  •  
jda
A group I know just did Copenhagen yesterday, that’s also pretty flat. But mid-May

About This Thread

Maintained by Naomi P
Thread for everyone who wants to run a road marathon outside the UK. Everyone welcome, first timers to old hands :-)

List of holiday suggestions here ;-) Feel free to add races and comments
http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=438

And a couple of websites with useful info:
Marathon guide is brilliant for US maras but has the most comprehensive European list I've ever seen marathonguide.com
This is the AIMS site distancerunning.co.uk