•  
Hills of Death (HOD)
I’m jealous Mr K
Apr 2021
4:54pm, 19 Apr 2021
34,232 posts
  •  
Foxy
Looks like I might just keep my US streak going - Nov 13th Big Bear, California hopefully.
Apr 2021
8:45am, 20 Apr 2021
20,563 posts
  •  
DeeGee
I'm looking to the US possibly late on Foxy, but as I'm not planning anything in advance I'll be looking for something relatively last minute.

You've done a lot of the Mainly Marathons stuff, haven't you? Are those mainly "seven laps of a balancing lake/caravan park" type stuff?

Or do you reckon there's any chance of finding a different single or two lapper anywhere close to an airport (that isn't the weekend I mark the Maravan route)?
Jun 2021
12:20pm, 17 Jun 2021
34,234 posts
  •  
Foxy
I've opened a space in my calendar to allow me to do Big Bear but no rushing to book anything.

Mainly events are generally speaking out & backs on loops of parks, lakes & indeed have run round a few US caravan parks.

really not sure what's on in the US as each state has different rules. Philadelphia is great & a single loop with inexpensive flights & a great & very underatted city that said it's usually around Thanksgiving which could be maravan weekend ? Philly has a good subway from the airport.
Jun 2021
12:31pm, 17 Jun 2021
21,013 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Interesting, thanks.

Maravan is the weekend before Thanksgiving usually (two weekends after Fireworks weekend for historic practical reasons) so I might be tempted to have a look.

Not doing anything though until either rules change for double-jabs or the USA moves out of amber for a while. I won't be so fortunate with travel insurance this time round...
Oct 2021
3:16pm, 11 Oct 2021
13 posts
  •  
PJH92
Anyone in here ever done the 'Roads to Rhodes' marathon in April? Considering it a for a family week in the sun next Easter with added running...
Nov 2021
9:53pm, 11 Nov 2021
7,014 posts
  •  
minardi
I see they've just cancelled lanzarote marathon with less than a month's notice :-o
Nov 2021
10:35pm, 11 Nov 2021
36,056 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
Ffs why
Nov 2021
2:55am, 12 Nov 2021
3,697 posts
  •  
Mr. K.
I see they've just cancelled lanzarote marathon with less than a month's notice

That's incredible and so damaging to their reputation seeing as a huge % of participants are overseas visitors.

Hope those who do still go have good weather.
Nov 2021
8:31am, 12 Nov 2021
21,432 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Ffs why

Apparently they were unable to staff the event with regard to runners' safety on the originally notified route.

They looked at an alternative route (I presume laps) but decided against that because it wouldn't provide an acceptable experience to the runners.

Given that a huge chunk of the UK crowd going were the seven laps of a caravan park crowd anyway, I don't see what the problem is.

Still, I've got a plane and a hotel booked and paid for. I'm going to drink cheap beer overlooking the ocean.

About This Thread

Maintained by Naomi P
Thread for everyone who wants to run a road marathon outside the UK. Everyone welcome, first timers to old hands :-)

List of holiday suggestions here ;-) Feel free to add races and comments
http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=438

And a couple of websites with useful info:
Marathon guide is brilliant for US maras but has the most comprehensive European list I've ever seen marathonguide.com
This is the AIMS site distancerunning.co.uk