Marathon training, middle miles plan

7 watchers
May 2012
9:14am, 22 May 2012
18,759 posts
  •  
Maclennane
Fair enough Gobi, I don't want to rumble, though I admit the "grumble grumble" bit was possibly a little inflammatory, it was only meant affectionately, honest. :-o but lots of people finish maras, having taken a long time over it, and seem to suffer no mid-long term ill effects. There is room for the fun runner (in my opinion)
May 2012
9:44am, 22 May 2012
47,603 posts
  •  
Gobi
The time was not the issue I chose an arbitrary number.

I know people who have run 3hour marathon who in my view SHOULD NOT have run a marathon as they were not ready. Proper prep would have seen them run 2.25

For the record hospitalised and dead people have not had much fun.

Even a "FUN RUNNER" should have the common sense to prepare.

Like I say even off this comment you look ready to rumble so lets just not.
May 2012
9:46am, 22 May 2012
330 posts
  •  
shyfire
Hi JammyAnt, well done on the first marathon and hope the next ones going injury free.

I had a look at your training log and that 150 mile month whilst impressive mileage was almost double what you've normally been logging. Could the runners knee have been a side effect of just too much of an increase too quickly? You've also mentioned potentially doing 2 long runs a week of about 12-15 miles. The risk is that you would run these too fast and not give your body time to recover in between. I'm not sure that would give you any benefit if you end up with a similiar weekly mileage.

Disclaimer: random thoughts from a really really slow fun jogger ;-)
May 2012
10:03am, 22 May 2012
18,762 posts
  •  
Maclennane
We just have different perspectives I think, Gobi, but as far as I'm aware there's no great link between preparedness and likelihood of fatality, however much it seems like there should be.
May 2012
10:10am, 22 May 2012
47,604 posts
  •  
Gobi
Well done Mac I think through great effort on your part on each of my posts you have managed to pick out the point most likely to cause argument and confrontation but completely miss the real point I was trying to make.

I shall now not post again in here as this is a dull loop that has been done time and time again and frankly doesn't really help the poor chap who started the thread.

See you in the 220 thread :¬)
May 2012
10:14am, 22 May 2012
18,763 posts
  •  
Maclennane
No sir! I was questioning the concept of 'should' as I think we come at it from different angles - that's all!
May 2012
10:40am, 22 May 2012
10,004 posts
  •  
Naomi P
As ever, I find myself agreeing with Gobi, not just for the potential argument bit, but for all his comments on training and potential and whatnot.

The main reason I'm posting is because I love Marts' contributions. You can't beat a bit of number crunching, especially when it's so illuminating. Well done that man.
May 2012
11:36am, 22 May 2012
13,268 posts
  •  
Fenland Runner
That Hanson (sp!) does make me smile. Just look at the majority of people's 5k 10k HM times and then look at the Marathon time. The problem isn't that they can't run fast enough, the problem is no endurance at all. How is speedwork and not running over 16 miles going to address that?
May 2012
11:40am, 22 May 2012
805 posts
  •  
AdminLiz
My biggest problem is endurance...but think it's more mental than physical for me
May 2012
11:55am, 22 May 2012
13,269 posts
  •  
Fenland Runner
AdminLiz, some people say they hate 5ks but that sort of 'hurt' for me is far easier to deal with than the 20-26 mile stage of a marathon.

About This Thread

Maintained by
Hi, I recently completed my first marathon in April. Training was going well until the end of Janua...