Marathon training Long Runs - Why so shattering?

6 watchers
Aug 2017
4:52pm, 13 Aug 2017
13,259 posts
  •  
Fenland (Fenners) Runner
I'd agree with you Tim. Not sure there is much benefit going over three hours
Aug 2017
4:57pm, 14 Aug 2017
3,140 posts
  •  
run-forest-run
Yes you should run that slow, long runs at marathon pace will imho cause you to hit the wall in the marathon at about the distance of your longest run, you are also risking fatigue in training.

Try the long runs slower, if you feel great at 5m resist the urge to go faster.... but if you feel great with a couple of miles to go then increase pace a little... this will get you used to working harder towards the end of the marathon.
Aug 2017
5:11pm, 14 Aug 2017
27,141 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Glad you got advice that helped you find the problem (running the run portions of your long runs too fast - common problem).

However, I'm afraid age isn't always a reason to slow down. Realise this is only an example of 1, but late 50s chap in our club is still improving his marathon time (2:55 at last attempt) on back of huge weekly training volume (which he loves!) I'm hoping to keep improving well into my fifties!

Best of luck, :-) G
Aug 2017
11:16pm, 21 Aug 2017
188 posts
  •  
soozie
i feel exactly the same and would like some advice on this too please. I have my first proper marathon next month (I ran the same marathon last year but at my dad's slower pace). I am run/walking and only managed 15 miles yesterday which took almost 3 and a half hours. It was supposed to be 16 miles but felt I had nothing left at the end. I am still completely exhausted from it today. My next and final long run is next weekend which is supposed to be 18 miles. I am hoping someone will say I won't need to attempt this distance in training as it probably won't be far off 4 hours. Or am I just being lazy and get on with it as per the training plan? Sorry to hijack the thread but feeling out of my depth.
Aug 2017
7:31pm, 22 Aug 2017
189 posts
  •  
soozie
Maybe a compromise and make my final long run 17 miles?
Aug 2017
9:04pm, 22 Aug 2017
11,839 posts
  •  
early bird
Interested in any replies for you too. It took me 3h 19m to do 14 1/2 miles and my marathon is in 3 weeks.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Tim of Fife
I'm getting on a bit, but am planning on run/walking (5:1) a marathon at 10 mins a mile pace (4...