Marathon Training Advice Please

3 watchers
Jul 2017
1:11pm, 28 Jul 2017
255 posts
  •  
Hallucyn8
Hi, looking for some advice please. I'm running the Birmingham marathon in October which is 11 weeks away this Sunday. My original plan was to follow the Furman marathon plan after having successfully followed it for a couple of recent half marathons. However due to issues at work I've effectively had a month off running and my fitness has dipped enough that picking up the Furman plan doesn't seem feasible. I attempted a 20 mile at MP+60s last Sunday and had burned out by 15 miles. Base mileage is not great but I did run a trail HM on 25th June in 2:03:54 (road PB is 1:58:39) and the 15 miles last Sunday so I've got something to work with. So any recommendations for a plan I can follow for the next 11 weeks? Looking for something that at the least will have me confident that I can complete the full marathon with a revised down potential target of finishing in under 4 and a half hours...
Jul 2017
1:36pm, 28 Jul 2017
7,303 posts
  •  
becca7
That was quite a big hike up to 20 miles, which is why it was probably tough. You have a decent amount of time left so I would try and build up to 20 more gradually and you still have time to fit in a couple of 20s. You might be able to adapt your existing programme.

Otherwise starting in about week 10 of this one would get you there. halhigdon.com
Jul 2017
2:20pm, 28 Jul 2017
256 posts
  •  
Hallucyn8
Agreed, probably not a massively smart move but the plan said 20 and I thought the slower pace might make it doable. Think it was time on my legs more than anything that did me in as it's only a couple of miles on top of the half and more than a minute per mile slower but you live and you learn :)

Will have a look at the plan you linked.
Jul 2017
4:12pm, 28 Jul 2017
2 posts
  •  
Liz Kissane
Have a think about some sort of walk running approach. I have always been a fan of it, even when I was able to run all the way. Since then I have been injured and had to rebuild slowly, so have done a lot of walk running right from the start of a race. I find that it gives the running muscles a rest (you don't say what it was that caused you do stop at 15 miles). This helps you maintain better form and so tire less. I usually encounter people urging me to keep running in the earlier stages of a race only to find that I catch them up again nearer the finish.... I'd also encourage you to do this in training. Good luck!
Jul 2017
4:32pm, 28 Jul 2017
1,742 posts
  •  
jdarun
Given the recent HM I'd say you should be able to get up to distance in another 11 weeks. For the long run I'd add about 1-2 miles each week up to a good 20 or maybe 22 miles max, you'll get there in 4 or 5 weeks. Take some food and water with you for these and eat before you feel hungry.

Other than that, just do as many miles as you have time and motivation for in the rest of the week (though not increasing by more than about 10% total per week). Plenty of people do a marathon on a 12 week plan admittedly that's starting from quite fit but I don't think you need to panic.
Jul 2017
5:18pm, 28 Jul 2017
257 posts
  •  
Hallucyn8
Thanks for the advice guys :)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Hallucyn8
Hi, looking for some advice please. I'm running the Birmingham marathon in October which is 11 ...