Marathon training

8 watchers
Jul 2012
3:07pm, 10 Jul 2012
3,362 posts
  •  
Joe Hawk
If you are that bothered by the distance. Do the full 26.2 just make sure you go extra slow and working the necessary recovery and do it over a month (probably two) from your actual race.
Jul 2012
3:09pm, 10 Jul 2012
3,363 posts
  •  
Joe Hawk
sorry meant to working in the necessary recovery to your training.
Jul 2012
3:11pm, 10 Jul 2012
3,364 posts
  •  
Joe Hawk
DOH
meant to be "work in the necessary recovery into your training."
Jul 2012
3:32pm, 10 Jul 2012
328 posts
  •  
Mrsbridgewater
I guess it is the control freak in me that doesn't like the unknown! I hope that fellow Fetchies will be supportive as I crawl across the line. Due to recent injuries there is no way I can work a 26+ mile in a month or two before the end of October, but I will concentrate on time on my feet. I'm sure it will be fine. People run marathons all the time don't they? If I train properly it can, and will, be done.

I've spent the last 3 years being disappointed and relieved when the rejection thing from the London Mara comes through in October that I thought I ought to just bl%dy get on with signing up for a marathon anyway. Have promised myself a Krispy Kreme Donut if I finish it!
Jul 2012
3:45pm, 10 Jul 2012
12,299 posts
  •  
DeeGee
You'll do it. And you'll do bloody well.

Are there still places in Abingdon?
Jul 2012
4:22pm, 10 Jul 2012
378 posts
  •  
Turkhish
I too have entered Abingdon....and it will b my first marathon......I was planning to run 20 as a max in training........should I b doing 22?.........I ran 15.96 today which is the furthest I have ever been! Just planning to increase my long run mileage every 2 weeks by a mile or so until the end of sept....not sure if I should be aiming for 22 now?
Jul 2012
4:39pm, 10 Jul 2012
3,367 posts
  •  
Joe Hawk
It doesn't matter that much as long as you get up to 20M anything extra is a bonus, the pace that you run these longer runs is the important factor. You have to remember it is a training run and go steady ,you want to finish the run at the same pace that you started if not a little faster and feeling like you could carry on.
The LSR isn't supposed to be a hard session.
Jul 2012
5:22pm, 10 Jul 2012
13,651 posts
  •  
Fenland Runner
Mrsb, a true runner, will celebrate your successful completion of a marathon, whether or not you finish in style or crawl the last few miles. What is 'normal' on Fetch is distinctly abnormal in 'normal' life. Good luck and enjoy it.
Aug 2012
10:43am, 6 Aug 2012
380 posts
  •  
Mrsbridgewater
OK, next question!

Food! If I run half mara or longer I know that I need to take on something energy rich as my fingers and toes start to tingle when my blood sugar drops! But, I have yet to find a gel that doesn't make me want to throw up! I favour fruit pastilles/jelly babies - if I have one per mile do you think that would see me through?
Aug 2012
1:59pm, 6 Aug 2012
21 posts
  •  
Mouseytongue
Clif Shot Blok's?

About This Thread

Maintained by Mrsbridgewater
So, I've taken the plunge, signed up for Abingdon, and despite a cr@ppy foot I have started my trai...