marathon training - injured

2 watchers
Feb 2012
9:12pm, 25 Feb 2012
274 posts
  •  
shyfire
Echoing what others have said, dont panic.

Are you doing the usual 'sports injury' things rest/ice/compression/elevation? It might ease off after a few days and just be a minor strain rather than anything serious. Give it a few days to settle, if you can, introduce some X-training like cycling/elliptical then see how that goes. If you're running half marathon distance now even a couple of weeks off now wont scuper you.
Feb 2012
9:57pm, 25 Feb 2012
8 posts
  •  
Mrs Mo
Feb 2012
10:27pm, 25 Feb 2012
6,162 posts
  •  
Stander
Have you considered trying swimming as cross training whilst it heals?
Feb 2012
10:41pm, 25 Feb 2012
6,542 posts
  •  
(schnell)Schnecke
As others have said, you are at an early stage with the training so the injury is unlikely to make a big impact unless it turns out to be more serious. A couple of weeks rest/light training probably won't make a huge difference at this stage, especially if your goal is (very sensibly) to get round in one piece. Just don't panic and rush back into heavy training/distance until you can run comfortably on it. The rice thing should help (as shyfire says), and a sports massage might help as well.
Feb 2012
7:43am, 26 Feb 2012
9 posts
  •  
Mrs Mo
went swimming yesterday and going to go again this morning. It's so not the same though as you all know :'( I'll just have to go with it and be patient!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Mrs Mo
hi guys I am in week 3 of Edinburgh marathon training and I have pulled my calf. I am currently at a...