Marathon training - bike vs running?

1 watcher
May 2012
8:48am, 25 May 2012
54 posts
  •  
beebop
Help needed here, please! Does anyone have a convenient formula or strong opinion about switching training runs for bike rides? I've got an achilles niggle, so have been working on the theory that doing around twice the run distance on the bike for some parts of the plan should bring roughly similar training effects for less impact and still allow me to do two or three of the training runs as runs without making the niggle a nag. Any thoughts? I'm about six weeks away from my marathon now, and wishing I'd asked before. Missed some training earlier in the plan hoping the pain would all go away by itself, which didn't work.

Typical denial...

I'm using a RW plan aiming for 4.30, if that information is in any way relevant. Did one previous marathon, but hurt my foot at about this stage and did barely any training for the last six weeks, so definitely feel I know nothing about anything when it comes to marathons - not sure ignorance is bliss, though.
May 2012
8:52am, 25 May 2012
242 posts
  •  
UltraPaulo
Cycling is a good way to maintain fitness if you are injured. In my opinion you are unlikey to gain anything by replacing your runs with cycling but it will certainly help you to keep the fitness you have built up. I would suggest trying to cycle at a similar cadence to what you typically run at (About 160 rpm), dont worry about pushing big gears and as you have mentioned an achilles injury I would avoid any stand up cycling. Stay seated, high cadence would be my advice. Make sure you still stretch well afterwards as you would after a run.
May 2012
8:59am, 25 May 2012
55 posts
  •  
beebop
Thanks! Worrying, as I don't think I have enough fitness for maintenance to be enough, but good to have an idea. High cadence - yes, I'll do that. As for standing up - nah, too lazy not to use the saddle. Except over big bumps. We have some vicious traffic calmers round here, oh yes. And the potholes! Ouch.
May 2012
9:07am, 25 May 2012
212 posts
  •  
mblnFERCr
I was in a similar situation in the lead up to Brighton this year - slight achilles issue. I used a turbo trainer to maintain fitness, and bought some KT tape to support the achilles when running, and found it worked well for me. As UP said above, don's work too hard on the bike - its a good replacement for recovery runs. I still try to get a session or two in each week, as I find it helps loosen me up (good for catching up on podcasts too :) )
Probably worth going for some physio/massage to check for other issues as you have time to work on them before the race - my achilles was related to a previous SI problem, and stretching for that helped too.
May 2012
9:08am, 25 May 2012
10,026 posts
  •  
Meglet
160 rpm? That's VERY fast! Perhaps you mean if you footfall 160 times a minute that's the same as 80rpm on the bike?
May 2012
9:09am, 25 May 2012
10,027 posts
  •  
Meglet
Oh, yes, and I had an Achilles niggle while marathon training last year. My physio checked it and taped it a couple of times which really helped, and reassured me it wasn't going to go twang in the middle of a run/race!
May 2012
9:12am, 25 May 2012
56 posts
  •  
beebop
Thanks again! Have some massage booked over the next few weeks, first one certainly seemed to help. Um, realise this is probably a stupid question, but what is a turbo trainer? Or I could hit google...
May 2012
9:12am, 25 May 2012
21,509 posts
  •  
Old Croc
indoor trainer for cyclists - turns your bike into an exercise bike
May 2012
9:16am, 25 May 2012
57 posts
  •  
beebop
Thanks meglet - looks as though I'm going to have to learn about taping, then. I have time! Thanks OC - not sure about that, think the cats would laugh.
May 2012
9:16am, 25 May 2012
213 posts
  •  
mblnFERCr
As OC said above. Makes it easy to maintain a steady rhythm and pace, as you dont need to factor in the terrain/traffic.

About This Thread

Maintained by beebop
Help needed here, please! Does anyone have a convenient formula or strong opinion about switching tr...