Marathon Strategy

8 watchers
Apr 2012
12:40pm, 10 Apr 2012
29 posts
  •  
funkyplates
Right guys, I'm after some opinions....

Wondering what strategy to take in Edinburgh Marathon. I want to average 10 minute mile.

Do I run the first half a bit faster (i.e. 9.30) knowing that the second half will be harder/slower. Or, try and maintain 10 min mile from start to finish. Just did an 18 mile in 9.57 min mile, averaging 9.50 up to mile 16 then struggling in last couple but still jogging.

My strategy last year at London (my first marathon) was to aim for 11 min mile avg as I had a target to beat 5 hours. I did the first half OK in 2h26 but the second half was hot and my speed was bad, ending up doing 3h01 second half.

A sub 4h30 would be great but I wonder if it's realistic.

Thanks

Lee
Apr 2012
12:47pm, 10 Apr 2012
11,534 posts
  •  
DeeGee
I'd always advocate even pacing. I do see where you're coming from, though, with the first quarter of Edinburgh being downhill. However, it's not a smooth, gentle descent and running downhill can be as knackering as running on the flat. If you keep it at your target pace for the first half then it will feel easier, and that's then energy in the bank for later on.

From what I remember, the second half of the race is very close to the seafront and is pretty damn well flat...
Apr 2012
12:55pm, 10 Apr 2012
18,298 posts
  •  
Maclennane
Even pacing. If you set off expecting to run into trouble, you'll find it. There's not much more miserable than having gone out too fast. Set off at tens, and if you're feeling fresh at 15, you can start putting some time in the bank.
Apr 2012
12:57pm, 10 Apr 2012
6,043 posts
  •  
Mrs Winkle
Even pacing works best IMO. If you start out faster than PMP you'll be tired when you least need it - i.e. the last 6 or 7 miles. I would say go out at a conservative pace, and if you feel strong at about 20 miles, push it a bit then if you can.
Apr 2012
1:00pm, 10 Apr 2012
41,054 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
Id best not comment;)
Apr 2012
1:05pm, 10 Apr 2012
6,191 posts
  •  
Son of a Pronator Man
never plan on the basis that you wil slow down a bit at the end. You will slow down a lot and regret it. You will feel bad as people pass you. It's not the way to do it. I speak as one who has tried and failed with that approach before.
Apr 2012
1:47pm, 10 Apr 2012
27 posts
  •  
gilly1709
Slightly different times but I had the same dilema for last years marathon. I ended up getting some good advice from my club coach which worked very well for me and helped me get a negative split.

Start at your goal pace - 10 m/m, if you feel good at half way maintain your goal pace, if you're still feeling good at 18m maintain your goal pace. At 20m have a think and if by 21/22 you're still feeling ok up the pace a bit.

You've trained for 10m/m so why go off quicker and potentially have a bad time at 18? Keep things nice and steady and try to keep your pace even particularly in the middle bits of the race where its easy to lose concentration. If you're happy with your training and pre race fueling then there's no reason you'd lose any time at the end. I know it's probably easier said than done but starting out with the intention to make up time in the latter part of the race will help much more psychologically than setting off a bit quicker and waiting for the inevietable fatigue to happen.
Apr 2012
1:49pm, 10 Apr 2012
12,385 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Evens, erring on a slow start.
Apr 2012
1:50pm, 10 Apr 2012
16,612 posts
  •  
BigChiefRunningBore
begin - run- finish
Apr 2012
1:50pm, 10 Apr 2012
11,538 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Did slow to fast on Sunday and it was spot on to the second!

About This Thread

Maintained by FunkyPOM
Right guys, I'm after some opinions....

Wondering what strategy to take in Edinburgh Marathon. I...