Marathon question just a quickie thanks

3 watchers
Jan 2012
9:10pm, 7 Jan 2012
9,555 posts
  •  
Ultracat
Hi I would see how quickly you recover from your long runs between now and then and decide nearer the time. Doing a 20 miler with others and support would probably be easier in the race but I would advise you use it as a training run and do not race it.
Jan 2012
9:12pm, 7 Jan 2012
1,149 posts
  •  
Old Man
rmoftb - have you entered Folksworth 15 and Stamford 30k in Jan and Feb - they will help you in the build up? Ashby will be a good one, but if its to be your last long run I would be suggesting you need a mile before and after to make it a 22m longest run - a 10k after running 20miles is going to seem an awful long way at Brighton
Jan 2012
9:13pm, 7 Jan 2012
1,312 posts
  •  
HappyTimes
Rather than worry about "just finishing a distance you have never run" which is one reasonable view pointed out by Mick (much more experience marathoner than me). Why not run the distanc ebefore your first time racing the distance. For Mick`s reason partly I ran full mara distanc ein training before my first marathon. Gave me heeps of confidence for the day KNOWING I could at VERY LEAST complete.

Listen to your body though that is key, better undertrained and unbroken than over trained and broke.
Enjoy the journey!! :-)
Jan 2012
9:13pm, 7 Jan 2012
2,353 posts
  •  
runningmumof3boys
All advice appreciated thanks. :) ooh ogee I'm deffo not planning on racing ashby though ! Im treating it as a training run , if I start tapering 4weeks before then rather than 3how much difference do you lot think it would make ?
Jan 2012
9:14pm, 7 Jan 2012
3,698 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Agree with Ogee, no harm in doing the 20 race as long as you dont race it, just treat it as a training run. Back to back 20 milers will set you up nicely
Jan 2012
9:15pm, 7 Jan 2012
1,313 posts
  •  
HappyTimes
Personally feel 3 is too long never mind 4, but there are many views and best to experiment a bit yourself probably RMO3B.
Jan 2012
9:16pm, 7 Jan 2012
1,150 posts
  •  
Old Man
Depends how severe you think you are going to taper, my group will do 16 two weeks before their mara's and 12/13 the week before. Its importnat to keep the legs turning over and not switch off!! They will greatly reduce the mid week mileage as well but only over the last two weeks, personally I think tapering at 4 weeks is to soon
Jan 2012
9:17pm, 7 Jan 2012
1,398 posts
  •  
run-forest-run
With Ashby 20 4 weeks before Brighton I would agree with Willymo in that the more 20 milers you can do the better. Ashby is usually a good "tester" for London which is a week after Brighton so for most doing that they have a week longer. I guess your main focus will be Brighton as its your first and I think if it were me I would still do Ashby and run halfway between marathon pace and longrun training pace. It would give you a good indication of your fitness without exhausting you too much and give you race experience of a longer distance to let you practice your carb loading and race hydration strategy.

Then the week after do the last 20 mile training run with the pace emphasis on "easy"

Whatever you decide though good luck for Brighton :-)
Jan 2012
1,151 posts
  •  
Old Man
Happy Times - you read my mind!! LOL!!
Jan 2012
2,354 posts
  •  
runningmumof3boys
Sorry those last comments came as I typed. Old man yes I'm in Folksworth and Stamford as well as the ashby 20 they are my 3 main training races. I'm also in the mk half 2 weeks Before ashby. Ooh HT I'm not sure about running 26 before hand I'm considered 21 or 22 ....

About This Thread

Maintained by runningmumof3boys
I am doing Brighton marathon 15th April. I notice my last long long run of say 20 miles should be 3 ...