Marathon negative split

4 watchers
Oct 2012
7:54pm, 23 Oct 2012
6,634 posts
  •  
Mrs Winkle
I'm with Johnny - work out average pace, stick to it. Works for me. :)
Oct 2012
8:49am, 24 Oct 2012
234 posts
  •  
Fitz
I've been aiming for negative splits in my marathons and halves this year, but no more than 49/51 split, so for example a 4-hour marathon target has a 9:21 pace for the first half (2:02:24) and 8:59 for the second half (1:57:36).

It can be tough making yourself go slowly enough in the first half but it feels great to be feeling fresh and overtaking folk in the second half. It didn't quite work as planned for Dingle marathon due to the massive hill at 21-23 miles, but I still had enough in the tank for the last three miles and a PB. also PBd Royal Parks half this year using similar methodology. I'm planning to do the same for Nice. Not saying the PBs are purely down to the split plan, but it's working for me.

Frankly ANY pace plan, and sticking to it through thick and thin, is the way to marathon happiness, in my view. Race what you've trained to race and don't get sucked in to the pace of others around you in all the excitement of being in a big running crowd.
Oct 2012
8:54am, 24 Oct 2012
14,372 posts
  •  
Fenland Runner
dd2411, huge well done, I'm a strong advocate of getting to the end of the marathon having loved the experience, than the last six miles being hell on earth.

As the ego gets in the way, knowing what the average pace really is, is a tough call, so if you err on the side of cautious the results will be more predictable.
MKS
Oct 2012
8:22pm, 24 Oct 2012
24 posts
  •  
MKS
I managed a huge negative split in VLM 2012 (my first mara - 3:32:13) and always attempt to do this in racing.

In Abingdon last w/e my 5m splits were: 39:17; 39:39 (up the slight incline); 38:10; 37:48 and 9:45 to finish.

I think the half splits worked out at 1:41:52 and 1:42:20 so didn't quite make it, but this was off only 8 wks continuous training after injury.

Apart from anything else, you just feel so great going past people at the end....tide out; tide in and all that.
Oct 2012
9:20pm, 25 Oct 2012
27 posts
  •  
Phil70
You guys have certainly encouraged me to give it a go. Positive splits are fine upto a half-marathon but I really must drop the 'hang in there' approach and focus more on a steady pace over the longer distance.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by dd2411
hi, I ran abingdon yesterday in 4.11.42, a massive 28 min pb from my previous marathon (london in ap...