Marathon from a half in 9 weeks

2 watchers
Apr 2013
2:15pm, 22 Apr 2013
22,273 posts
  •  
Frobester
I've got a hilly marathon at the end of June. It's 9 weeks away. I could go to one of those RW training plans and cut out bits and pieces, but can anyone suggest anything alternative to this? I've done a couple of marathons before, neither on road, and neither particularly quick.

Thanks.
Apr 2013
2:25pm, 22 Apr 2013
239 posts
  •  
buzby123
Ok I am no expert but I did it. Had only run 4 or 5 Halves (including a couple of trail ones) before I entered the Bolton Hill Marathon the second week in January. The race was 8 weeks later and I managed it ok. Plenty of training in the hills, it wasn't fast but it was race specific. Plenty of multi terrain work, hardly any tarmac stuff although it was Winter and snowy so wouldn't have got out much on the tarmac anyway. I feel like I blasted the race, set a targe of 5:20 and ended up with 4:50, pace overall was a whole minute per mile faster than average training runs. There was no specific plan just ensured at least one long run in the hills once a week, another 2 or 3 runs, one of which was in the hills also, the others lower level off road stuff or hill sprints on a treadmill.

It helped that I live near the course and we ran it constantly in training, in various guises, until the last training run was 23 miles of the whole route. That was the biggest confidence builder, knowing exactly what the job in hand was, where I would need to walk, recover etc. Good luck.
Apr 2013
955 posts
  •  
monsenb1
What distances have your long runs been in the last few weeks?
From your training plan has the long run been only 6 miles? Your mileage over the last couple of months has been very low for a marathon attempt in the next few weeks

Could you manage something like the following as long runs for the next 6 weeks?

10, 13, 16, 13, 18, 20

would ideally do another long run of 20 or over somehow
but 3 runs over 16 should see you through..
do 2-3 other shorter sessions during the week if possible too..
Apr 2013
442 posts
  •  
mblnFERCr
What are you hoping to achieve Frobster? And how far is your current long run? Oh, and how hilly is it, and can you train on similar terrain?
Apr 2013
2:28pm, 22 Apr 2013
240 posts
  •  
buzby123
Just to add, my longest race/run prior to deciding to enter the race was an offroad Half at the start of October and a road Half at the end of October.
Apr 2013
2:30pm, 22 Apr 2013
22,276 posts
  •  
Frobester
That's useful thanks everyone so far. I've got no real time goal in mind, apart from doing no worse than my other maras to date. It's massively hilly, but I can train on similar-ish terrain. I just don't really want to injure myself - if I feel it's on and I'm feeling good I'll at least try and notch it up a bit, but since it's not a distance I do often (first in June 11, second in November last year) I'm not hugely bothered beyond enjoying it for the scenery and craic at the end.

I do realise though I need to start building though.
Apr 2013
2:33pm, 22 Apr 2013
241 posts
  •  
buzby123
Thats why I chose to do a multi terrain marathon as my first. Absolutely no pressure whatsoever, do it to finish, enjoy the scenery, enjoy the walk breaks. It was great. My second marathon in just 6 days has surely got to be a pb on a flat road. You have nothing to lose, just go for it.

p.s. is there a time limit on the course? The massive deciding factor for me was the 8hr time limit imposed. If they had said 6hrs and I had a targe of 5:20 in mind it didn't give me much opportunity to blow up in the latter stages, I knew I could walk it in 8hrs if necessary.
Apr 2013
2:35pm, 22 Apr 2013
443 posts
  •  
mblnFERCr
Just get out and spend a few hours (upto 3.5-4) going up and down then, and another hour during the week. Remember it's perfectly acceptable to walk the ups, and take it easy on the early downhills so you don't trash your legs too early. :)
Apr 2013
2:40pm, 22 Apr 2013
22,277 posts
  •  
Frobester

That's the course profile, apparently it's a "little bit" hillier than South Downs. I think the time limit's 6 hours, and both of my maras so far I've run/walked in the closing stages.
My schoolboy error on the South Downs was to try and run up all the ups, so when it came to about 20 miles my legs weren't even interested in walking, let alone running.
Apr 2013
2:41pm, 22 Apr 2013
5,262 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Looks a decent (and doable challenge). Walk the ups and run everything else and I bet you'll have a good day :-)

About This Thread

Maintained by
I've got a hilly marathon at the end of June. It's 9 weeks away. I could go to one of those RW t...