Marathon Food planning

2 watchers
jda
Dec 2019
6:15pm, 4 Dec 2019
5,902 posts
  •  
jda
Some people do the starvation and overload thing in the few days leading up to the race. For training, it's important to get enough fuel. I don't know how much validity there is in the theories about training yourself to use fat more efficiently, but it's an interesting idea. I do a bit of eating during long runs (and half-marathon warm-up races) basically as practice for race day. But that's a different thing from the more general question you are asking. I do aim to gradually drop weight during the training period, cos I've usually got a bit of spare at the start :-)

Thinking of trying beetroot this time, mostly because of winning a large bottle of the stuff at an event over the summer (ok, it was my wife who won it, but she doesn't want to try it). I think it's supposed to be taken shortly before events and perhaps also tough training sessions.
Dec 2019
6:23pm, 4 Dec 2019
26,078 posts
  •  
HellsBells
Beetroot juice would firmly scupper my marathon plans by the effect it would have on my gut!
Dec 2019
6:39pm, 4 Dec 2019
737 posts
  •  
Ally-C
I take beetroot shots or beetroot juice for longer races. Kinda bizarre peeing post race.

Nae idea if it works😀
PK
Dec 2019
8:36pm, 4 Dec 2019
81 posts
  •  
PK
I know a few folk that have experienced the post beetroot shot pee.

Jda, thanks for the input. I'm generally fit n healthy, if carrying a little extra too.

Think it'll be a case of researching healthy eating, but watching calorie intake too to make sure I'm getting enough.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by PK
There's a few threads, some of which I follow, about training plans for marathons. However, I&...