Marathon du Medoc

7 watchers
Feb 2017
10:37am, 27 Feb 2017
5,973 posts
  •  
paul the builder
Seems like a good time to resurrect this - is anyone trying to enter this year?

Thanks to Spleen for the helpful post above. Did you enjoy it?
Mar 2017
11:52am, 30 Mar 2017
1,492 posts
  •  
Spleen
Sorry for the late reply. Late is probably better than never for anyone Googling for future years.

It's not just one of the best races I've ever done but one of the best things I've ever done. The support is amazing: given the rural location the number of water/feed stations is excellent - and needed given the gruelling conditions. It was 25 degrees when we started in the morning and got hotter.

The wine, the support, the fancy dress, the beautiful chateaus - the whole experience couldn't have been better. It makes me glad to be a runner and to be able to take part in something like this. I would say to anyone who is even thinking of doing it, do it.

As far as I know, this year (2017) they were operating the same system as last year - it will open suddenly and without warning on one day, then almost immediately close, then open suddenly again a week later, then it will be sold out. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they move to a ballot system eventually. So get in while you can.
Mar 2017
1:17pm, 30 Mar 2017
6,035 posts
  •  
paul the builder
Hey Spleen. Thanks for that. We did get in, so the mini-review is handy :-)

It happened just as you describe above. One first wave of "registration open" which closed within just a few hours - which we missed. And then about 10-12 days later a second wave, which we got in on. Probably that was only open for a few hours too, but we did get in.

I'll be part of a group of almost entirely non-runners (and pushing a wheelchair between us too). So I'll enjoy it even more, since I'll be out there for about 7 hours ;-)
Mar 2018
1:31pm, 15 Mar 2018
4,072 posts
  •  
minardi
Resurrecting this thread for this year as I seem to have entered! Does anyone have any idea where the shuttle buses in Bordeaux to Paulliac leave from?
Mar 2018
10:02am, 21 Mar 2018
6,354 posts
  •  
paul the builder
A. You'll love it, it was brilliant, and
B. No sorry - we stayed out at a beach chalet-village and taxi-ed in/out of Paulliac.
Mar 2018
11:02am, 21 Mar 2018
4,073 posts
  •  
minardi
cheers ptb - we've booked somewhere in Castelnau-de-Medoc but I just saw on the official website that they were doing a shuttle bus from Bordeaux.

Now I just have to think of something to wear - the theme is Amusement Park!!
Mar 2018
1:02pm, 27 Mar 2018
4,074 posts
  •  
minardi
I've taken the easy option and ordered a minnie mouse outfit!
Sep 2022
5:08pm, 30 Sep 2022
46,401 posts
  •  
♪♫ Synge ♪♫
Inspired by minardi's reports of 2018 and of this year's event, I quite fancy a go at this sometime. Retirement is kind of beckoning in 2023 and September is the month when I may well decide that a celebration is required ...
Sep 2022
5:10pm, 30 Sep 2022
46,402 posts
  •  
♪♫ Synge ♪♫
D1 stayed in Andernos-les-Bains many years ago on a Bristol-Bordeaux school exchange and it sounds like a really nice area.
Sep 2022
7:26pm, 30 Sep 2022
8,392 posts
  •  
minardi
We stayed in Andernos-Les-Bains for one night in 2018 and had 3 nights in Castelnau for the expo, race and walk/lunch on the Sunday. This year we had the 3 nights in Moulis en Medoc. It's impossible to get any closer to Pauillac.

About This Thread

Maintained by Spleen
Has anyone done this race in recent years? I've wanted to do it for ages and am hoping to do it thi...