Maprun orienteering app

9 watchers
Apr 2021
9:09am, 12 Apr 2021
13,895 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
"Half the fun is finding the damn thing hidden in a deep depression you've run right past 3 times surely?"

Putting my controller's hat on....controls should not be hidden as it's not a treasure hunt!

Unless you go to an SYO event, when you should always expect bingo controls ;-)
Apr 2021
9:10am, 12 Apr 2021
13,896 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
But yes, it'll work well for WY courses and perhaps MTBO too.
Apr 2021
9:12am, 12 Apr 2021
13,897 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
"Last summer I tagged a control like that from the 'wrong' side"

The couple of events I planned last year I had to conciously avoid those type of controls - which made planning some good legs harder.

I also had a control on a fence corner (in theory accessible on both sides) that would not register very well no matter what we did. I think I had to artificially move it 15m to the E to make it work.
Apr 2021
9:21am, 12 Apr 2021
72 posts
  •  
RooA
I was brought up in SYO so perhaps that's why I think that is fun. 😆🙃

I don't mean really hidden, hidden (being facetious as per usual) just that there's an accuracy in visiting a physical control point that maprun fuzzes out a bit, from what is bring said.

I imagine even a traditional O event with physical controls could be made pretty Covid safe anyway. But I don't even like anyone touching my farm gate at the moment (still) so can understand why people might be more cautious.
Apr 2021
9:35am, 12 Apr 2021
13,898 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
I once did an SYO night event in Greno wood (where I grew up so know it v well) just after I started orienteering about 10 years ago. Several controls were actually inside bushes that you also had to be inside to see them....

We've been allowed to run pretty much normal O events since last sept with physical controls etc. Given that ~1/3 -> ~1/2 of orienteers now use contactless punching, contact with

The biggest issue we have with organisisng an event is the congregating about the registration/payment and start/finish.

And this is a huge issue, because as you know a large number of orienteers have to be pathologically ridiculously early to everything.
Apr 2021
9:51am, 12 Apr 2021
74 posts
  •  
RooA
😆 yeah.

I wondered is the punching tech might have evolved even more.

Risk is pretty low outside still so yeah. Maprun doesn't sound like it's going to take over the world yet. Although I very much like the sound of it if I was on a horse!
jda
Apr 2021
10:18am, 12 Apr 2021
9,861 posts
  •  
jda
I hate the "hunt for the hidden control" thing. Half the time when I am struggling to find one, it's actually placed incorrectly or missing. Both of which can spoil up the event somewhat given that it's timed and you have to judge how long to keep hunting vs going on and risk missing out on the points if it really was there all along.
Apr 2021
10:26am, 12 Apr 2021
78 posts
  •  
RooA
Missing out on the points? Have they gone soft these days? In my day it was a DSQ.
Apr 2021
10:27am, 12 Apr 2021
13,899 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Controls *shouldn't* be hidden ever!

And in Regional and National events, there should be an independent check of the control location before the event by the Planner and Controller.

And then on the day the controller should double check placement of the controls by the planner.
Apr 2021
10:27am, 12 Apr 2021
13,900 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Think JDA means in a score Roo.

About This Thread

Maintained by jda
Discovered this last night thanks to a club member who organised an informal urban orienteering even...