Manchester HALF Marathon Oct 2016

8 watchers
Dec 2015
8:14pm, 11 Dec 2015
2,824 posts
  •  
Nelly
The organisers of the successful Greater Manchester Marathon have announced that they are putting on a new HALF marathon on 16th October '16 :-)

The course (http://www.fetcheveryone.com/routes-view.php?id=1750351) will be familiar to anyone who has run the GMM, as approximately 50% of the half route is on the same roads as the GMM. So it will be another flat and fast route, with the biggest "hills" being bridges over the railway/canal.

From the description on the website (http://www.manchesterhalfmarathon.com/) it appears that the entry fee will increase as the race fills up. It's currently £27 / £29, and could increase by up to £10, so not the cheapest, but currently comparable to the likes of the local Liverpool, Chester and Wilmslow HMs. So best to get your entries in earlier and save a few pennies.
Dec 2015
8:46pm, 11 Dec 2015
19 posts
  •  
RRRunner
I got excited when I got the email about the race this afternoon as Manchester has been crying out for another half, especially centrally placed. Gutted to find it's autumn (and clashes with another local half - Oldham's Milltown to Moors) would have liked a spring one as a tune up for GMM.

Think it will have to go on my "to-do" list for 2017....
Dec 2015
9:07pm, 11 Dec 2015
2,826 posts
  •  
Nelly
RRR - As long as there is the likes of the Great Run 10k and Great Cycle, I don't think there'll ever be another "centrally located" race, irrespective of whether it's HM or marathon. This is because Manchester City Council won't support it / allow the roads to be closed, hence, why both the GMM and new half are fully contained within Trafford MBC.

I presume you know that Xtramile events organise the Oulton Park HM specifically as a tune up race 6-weeks before GMM? Although admittedly, it's on the wrong side of Manchester for you.
Dec 2015
9:26pm, 11 Dec 2015
20 posts
  •  
RRRunner
Good point Nelly. Old Trafford is about as central as these are going to get! Which is a shame, the finish of GMM at the football ground is great but a finish outside the town hall would be amazing. Never going to happen as you say... :(

The Oulton Park half has never really appealed to me. How many laps of the race track is it?
Dec 2015
9:30pm, 11 Dec 2015
12,256 posts
  •  
jennywren
Wilmslow is usually a tune up for Spring marathons isn't it? i've entered this - just hope ill be able to run that far by then!
Dec 2015
9:33pm, 11 Dec 2015
2,828 posts
  •  
Nelly
Far too many laps for my liking ;-) I'd normally do Wilmslow HM as a late tune-up race, but it will be too close to GMM in 2016, hence why I'm going to Blackpool in mid-Feb instead.
Dec 2015
9:35pm, 11 Dec 2015
2,829 posts
  •  
Nelly
X-post with Jen. You've been building mileage gradually, so fingers crossed you'll be ready in 10 months time :-)
Dec 2015
9:40pm, 11 Dec 2015
21 posts
  •  
RRRunner
Yep gutted I can't do Wilmslow next year. I'll probably do Blackpool in Feb as it's a club race too but it's far from my favorite race!
Dec 2015
9:44pm, 11 Dec 2015
12,257 posts
  •  
jennywren
I've done Blackpool a few times - quite like it although it's often hard work on the sea front. I hope so Nelly - I'm doing parkrun again now so at least I'm back on the road. Have you come over to Stretford yet?
Dec 2015
10:15pm, 11 Dec 2015
2,830 posts
  •  
Nelly
No Jen, I've not tried Stretford yet. Is it a quick course? Blackpool is very weather, or more specifically wind, dependent.

About This Thread

Maintained by Nelly

Date: Sunday 16th October '16 (i.e. NOT the Great Run version in May '17)

Tracker: m.racetecresults.com

Race Booklet: manchesterhalfmarathon.com

Offers Booklet (instead of flyers in the "goody bag"): manchesterhalfmarathon.com

Entries: riderhq.com Close Mon 10th at 9am

Route: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/routes-view.php?id=1750351

Fetch Race Listing: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/viewracedetails.php?id=751501

TV highlights: 29th Oct, Channel 4, 7am