Man down!

1 watcher
Jan 2014
3:04pm, 22 Jan 2014
15,260 posts
  •  
DeeGee
So anyway, running to work yesterday I took my eye off the ball for the briefest of incidents and went groundwards with the force of 12 and a half stone of man falling over.

Skinned one knee and bruised the other. Didn't run this morning for precautionary reasons, but I'm feeling resonably confident of being able to put a few miles in tonight.

Is there anything I should do to protect or immobilise the bruised knee? The bruise is on the inside of the knee, just off the patella and about the size of a golf ball.

I have various different types of tape, if that would be handy.
Jan 2014
3:50pm, 22 Jan 2014
10,206 posts
  •  
mulbs
did you jump up pretending it didn't hurt while secretly wanting to cry?

sorry of no help in the what to do next bit, I was just curious
Jan 2014
4:12pm, 22 Jan 2014
3,930 posts
  •  
Jon_T
I think the best you can do tonight is rest and ice and fore go the run tbh
Jan 2014
4:28pm, 22 Jan 2014
15,263 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Yes to mulbs. Particularly as there was a witness. Arrived at work 15 mins later with a leg covered, and I mean cov-ered, in blood.

Boo to Jon T.
Jan 2014
4:31pm, 22 Jan 2014
3,626 posts
  •  
Dooogs
Obvious advice: don't fall over on it again before it's healed! Stick to well-lit, relatively even paths, or soft off-road trails (Cleethorpes beach?) for the next couple of runs.

Empathy: I've been there (albeit with more grazes and less bruising).
[IMAGE 60675_1]
[IMAGE 60675_63320]
Jan 2014
4:50pm, 22 Jan 2014
2,611 posts
  •  
SpeedyMel
Have a day off. It's going to hurt. :-)

Did you squeal on impact? :-)
Jan 2014
5:21pm, 22 Jan 2014
9,964 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
I *believe* that ice is relevant only as long as you want to prevent further bruising. After that, warmth to increase the blood flow and healing. So reckons a famous Fetchie, and it makes sense to me.
Jan 2014
9:28pm, 22 Jan 2014
15,264 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Didn't squeal Mel, but released a loud flock of fucks in a posh part of town!

Taped the bruised area. Dressed the graze. Tested it for just a couple of miles or so. OK to run again tomorrow I reckon.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by DeeGee
So anyway, running to work yesterday I took my eye off the ball for the briefest of incidents and we...

The Doctor K Cup

This year sees the fifth edition of our annual challenge in memory of the Fetchies who have sadly passed away. It's named after Doctor K, who died of pancreatic cancer in 2017

Are you doing the right training?

See typical mileage, pace and long run stats for every distance and goal. See a comparison with your own training.

Heart Rate Analysis

See your heart rate training data from the last 12 months broken down in technicolour.

Flat as a pancake?

We've collected thousands of your reviews from events, and worked out which races give you the best chance of a fast time!

X

Free training & racing tools for runners, cyclists, swimmers & walkers.

Fetcheveryone lets you analyse your training, find races, plot routes, chat in our forum, get advice, play games - and more! Nothing is behind a paywall, and it'll stay that way thanks to our awesome community!
Get Started
Click here to join 109,083 Fetchies!
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here