Making things go further

14 watchers
Mar 2020
5:30pm, 29 Mar 2020
1,448 posts
  •  
Silvershadow
I made a carbonara sauce in the week but I fried the bacon up with some onions which I then used in the base of a lentil and fridge scrapings soup. I’m also using odds and ends of random types of flour used once for special recipes and left at the back of the cupboard. Made savoury biscuits today
Mar 2020
6:08pm, 29 Mar 2020
10,284 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
Absolutely no flour in Sainsbury's, been like this for days.

My brother got some very dubious looking bread from the garage on Saturday. It came in blue plastic with an odd stick on label and yesterday's use by date. In previous times that would have been out for the birds but we're toasting it and half the loaf is in the freezer so it will last longer. Resisted the temptation to get a replacement loaf today.

Sadly the pack of mushrooms I got for tomorrow's spag bol have been demolished for a fry-up. It was a lovely lunch but now I only have 3 mushrooms left :-(
Mar 2020
10:54pm, 29 Mar 2020
34,704 posts
  •  
LindsD
Definitely water down soap products.
Mar 2020
6:55pm, 31 Mar 2020
2,458 posts
  •  
Elsie Too
Hubby is doing most of the cooking. In the past he has questioned me for putting carrots in bolognaise. Yesterday he put grated carrots in chilli!!
Mar 2020
7:18pm, 31 Mar 2020
10,303 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
I've put extra veg in the spag bol so it's going to do 3 meals instead of 2. So we'll have it tonight and tomorrow and the extra one is going in the freezer.

Tomorrow's lunch is going to be an experiment with bulgar wheat :-)
Mar 2020
8:42pm, 31 Mar 2020
27,875 posts
  •  
JenL
Oh I love bulgar wheat. Are you making tabbouleh?
Mar 2020
10:14pm, 31 Mar 2020
10,307 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
Hi JenL! Definitely not tabbouleh as I don't like raw tomatoes. I was thinking of mixing it with whatever veg I have left over with pilchards in tomato sauce. I'll report back tomorrow :-)
Apr 2020
5:54pm, 2 Apr 2020
455 posts
  •  
oi you
The Khorasan flour, used 50/50 with strong white, turned out a very decent loaf. good rise, soft texture, good flavour.

I also found a recipe to turn some left-over peanut butter into biscuits. The peanut butter was 3 months old - the biscuits lasted almost 24 hours.
Apr 2020
7:05pm, 2 Apr 2020
10,317 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
:-)

A day late but I did use my bulgar wheat for today's lunch. Fried onions, red pepper and black olives and added a small tin of mackerel in tomato sauce. Boiled the bulgar wheat with some green beans and mixed everything together. It was quite tasty.
Apr 2020
11:24pm, 2 Apr 2020
27,876 posts
  •  
JenL
Sounds lovely, LN. A little lemon juice and perhaps a sprinkling of chopped, fresh coriander might have set it off well, too, but those might not be so readily to hand. I'll bet it would also work with a tin of tuna in place of the pilchards.

About This Thread

Maintained by JenL
Ooh, it's been a while since I started a thread. I had almost forgotten how. Bear with me while...