Making things go further

14 watchers
Mar 2020
3:04pm, 28 Mar 2020
27,872 posts
  •  
JenL
Oh I'm so glad you found that useful, GM. Trial and (lots of) error :-) crab
This week's challenge for me is going to be kale: neither Mr L nor Smallest will eat it as it's "Far too green". But it's coming in the next veg box, which currently has no option to rule it out, so I'm determined to get through it, even if I have to be having it on toast.
Mar 2020
3:06pm, 28 Mar 2020
44,193 posts
  •  
McGoohan
The boys are in for a shock tonight. Reheated risotto from last night. 'But risotto doesn't reheat well!'

Tough :-)
Mar 2020
3:13pm, 28 Mar 2020
27,873 posts
  •  
JenL
A bit of extra cheese on top and it will be fine ;-)
Mar 2020
3:37pm, 28 Mar 2020
49,080 posts
  •  
Dr PhFleecyD
JenL: do you have a juicer? Or you could blend it and disguise it in orange juice

Or crisp it in the oven with salt, tastes completely different

I love kale, me
WA
Mar 2020
3:38pm, 28 Mar 2020
6,554 posts
  •  
WA
I was going to suggest crisping it too- tastes like the seaweed you get in chinese restaurants.
Mar 2020
3:40pm, 28 Mar 2020
450 posts
  •  
oi you
Jen, I've been finding flours like spelt or Khorasan in supermarkets, even if all other flours have been missing. I'm guessing they may add a bit more flavour to a loaf or rolls than plain white. Well that's my plan anyway.
Mar 2020
3:47pm, 28 Mar 2020
5,026 posts
  •  
Meeps
I love crispy kale, roasted in the oven with garlic oil.
Mar 2020
6:15pm, 28 Mar 2020
10,276 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
Does your family like garlic, JenL? When My brother does kale he adds chopped garlic and olive oil once it's cooked to jazz it up a bit.

I've been adding odd bits of leftover veg to a basic tomato sauce for lunch. Half a tin of tomatoes, a few bits of frozen onions, chili flakes, capers and black olives and some grated parmesan is the base which is nice enough on its own if we completely run out.

Roast veg is another good way to use up odds and ends as well and you can roast nearly anything!
Mar 2020
6:34pm, 28 Mar 2020
2,441 posts
  •  
Elsie Too
We’ve just done a freezer stock take too and we’ve done a meal plan for the week.

We’ve managed to order a veg box but I’m not sure if it’ll arrive middle of this week or next week - they said they had too many orders so some would go to the following week. We have baked beans and frozen peas and enough fresh veg for a few good meal so we’ll cope until it arrives.
MsG
Mar 2020
6:56pm, 28 Mar 2020
1,439 posts
  •  
MsG
Bread recipe using kamut / khorasan breadtherapy.blogspot.com

About This Thread

Maintained by JenL
Ooh, it's been a while since I started a thread. I had almost forgotten how. Bear with me while...