maffetone method.

16 watchers
Nov 2014
10:06am, 17 Nov 2014
First-time poster!!
  •  
superfan
Has anyone ever tried this form of training before?
Finished my 2nd marathon 3 weeks ago and am thinking of trying this out for 3-6 months,has anyone seen good improvements from using this method?
Nov 2014
10:51am, 17 Nov 2014
First-time poster!!
  •  
musicbuilder
I have seen marked Improvements in my easier running pace since I have been training using the Maffetone Method, you have to be patient though, I would say minimum 12 weeks to give it a proper chance. In my experience you might not see any improvement for the first 4 to 6 weeks , and then you (hopefully) will get a jump in your aerobic pace. In the last year my Maffetone pace has improved from around 6.00 mins a KM to around 4.30 mins a km, for example.
Nov 2014
11:24am, 17 Nov 2014
2 posts
  •  
superfan
Wow,that's impressive musicbuilder.
I'm definitely going to do it for at least 3 months,I'm not going to do any speed work or enter any races,I'm just going to concentrate on staying between 134-144 BPM.
Nov 2014
11:35am, 17 Nov 2014
1,146 posts
  •  
Canute
The Maffetone method is likely to produce substantial gains in type 1 fibre development and perhaps also in ability to conserve glycogen. These are both crucilal for good marathon performance.

But I think the evidence from both experience and scientific studies indicates it is even more effective when combined with a small amount of high intensity training. Nonetheless, if in doubt about how much high intensity to do, it is better to aim for less high intensity and more Maffetone pace.
Nov 2014
11:48am, 17 Nov 2014
3 posts
  •  
superfan
Yeah it's supposed to promote more fat burning,I've been doing most of my weekend long runs on empty for around 6 months now to become more fat adaptive,if this type of training improves that even more I'll be very happy because I felt it definitely helped me in my last marathon.
Nov 2014
11:53am, 17 Nov 2014
2 posts
  •  
musicbuilder
Exactly Canute, I do incorporate a bit of high intensity now, keep it to about a 80% 20% ratio, seems to work well. I spent a long time just at Maff to start with though. The Endurance Planet Podcast has a lot of discussions regarding the subject, and a couple of interviews with Maffetone himself.
Nov 2014
11:59am, 17 Nov 2014
3 posts
  •  
musicbuilder
It will definitely help with that kind of training Superfan, I can quite happily run (now) for two hours at Maff on empty, and feel fine at the end.
Nov 2014
1:25pm, 17 Nov 2014
4 posts
  •  
superfan
That's brilliant,thanks a lot.
I had never heard of endurance planet podcasts before, I will definitely check them out.
I have read some of his articles and heard him on a few other podcasts,he's a really interesting guy.
Nov 2014
1:41pm, 17 Nov 2014
3,290 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
I think that you need to understand your weaknesses and what you are trying to address?

Some people have categorised runners as either 'burners' or 'plodders'.

Burners perform well at shorter races but crash and burn at longer races.

Maffetone, is particularly helpful, in my view, for burners, but be careful, it could make a plodder even more of a plodder!!!
Nov 2014
1:42pm, 17 Nov 2014
572 posts
  •  
Reinhold Messner
To recap then, Endurance Planet podcasts...

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Has anyone ever tried this form of training before?
Finished my 2nd marathon 3 weeks ago and am thi...