Maffetone

5 watchers
Mar 2012
3:53pm, 26 Mar 2012
47,001 posts
  •  
Gobi
I can run 10mm for a HR of about 100 :¬) I just find it dull.
Mar 2012
4:05pm, 26 Mar 2012
3,883 posts
  •  
GlennR
I can see that Gobi. But even I can train at 9:30 pace at 130 bpm.

BTW, to me this is Van Aakens method in principle - when I started building a more serious base I did everything at 130bpm for a few months. Anything new in Maffetone or same old same old?
Jan 2017
7:04pm, 13 Jan 2017
174 posts
  •  
milemonster
I'm the other way around. My MAF is 143bpm which I find hard to get up to. I'm doing about 6mm or quicker to get my heart rate up to that. I've reduced the rate to 135 otherwise my muscles hurt too much.
Jan 2017
8:27pm, 13 Jan 2017
8 posts
  •  
Julii
I'm a scientist and I want to keep running so I experimented with Maffletone as a challenge. I can be q̶u̶i̶t̶e̶ a little obsessive about how much I hate Maffletone... but I met the challenge, I can now do a Maffletone pace run if I want to (at first it was painfully impossible, I had to taper down to the target over weeks and weeks). Can be useful if I want to go much further than usual.

BUT... I like endorphins from a hard run... I spent 35 yrs working on my "baseline". The more I did Maffletone the harder it was to get myself to ever run fast... Thing is, I've always been a plodder, I don't need to further hone my skills at running slow!!! Am now learning, maybe, how to really kill myself in intervals. Much more rewarding, and much more novel for me. That's my real challenge, I've never known before how to hammer it. Hammering is much funner, too :).
Jan 2017
8:28pm, 13 Jan 2017
9 posts
  •  
Julii
oh and ps... am not convinced that Maffletone's supposed science is well evidenced. Yes I am a snob about evidenced science. Anyway, if you like it or it's really different for you, or dealing with injury, I can see Maffletone can be right thing.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by runningdevon
Hi,

Are there any fetchies out there that has tried the Maffetone Method and was it been successf...