Machines and sanity

1 watcher
Jan 2016
11:12pm, 1 Jan 2016
1,970 posts
  •  
Drell
I've got a gammy foot at the moment, and need to stick to low impact exercise. That mainly means machines - indoor rower and elliptical motion. The trouble is, I *hate* using them. I get so bored. It turns out that I don't enjoy exercise for its own sake, but mostly for being outdoors in the fresh air -- which is why running is pretty much the only exercise I've ever been able to do on a long term regular basis.

So how do you keep yourself amused and sane while using a machine in the uninspiring surroundings of your garage, or spare bedroom, or whatever corner you have it in? Especially if you don't like movies, or just listening to music, or any of those obvious suggestions....
Jan 2016
11:18pm, 1 Jan 2016
1,781 posts
  •  
Wazelle
The answer might be another machine? Like a virtual reality helmet or even podcasts?
Jan 2016
11:20pm, 1 Jan 2016
12,082 posts
  •  
HowFar?
Could you chat to someone on the phone for a bit?
Jan 2016
4:51am, 2 Jan 2016
19,495 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Audiobook
Jan 2016
10:22am, 2 Jan 2016
1,971 posts
  •  
Drell
Some nice ideas here!

I've tried podcasts, but haven't found any that are compelling. I think I need something I actively want to hear, rather than something I'm prepared to listen to.

I've never tried audio books, but I can imagine that working.

There's no way one can actually *do* anything when you're on the machine, is there. It's got to be some sort of passive absorption.
Jan 2016
10:31am, 2 Jan 2016
12,090 posts
  •  
HowFar?
I like listening to some of the radio comedy stuff, but there are also plenty of plays on the radio that you might prefer.

Can you position the machine near a window and put some bird feeders in view?
Jan 2016
10:35am, 2 Jan 2016
19,497 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
I used to travel a lot for work and as a fellrunner gyms and dreadmills etc aren't my natural environment. Maybe some "natural ambient sounds" eg birdsong might help, Countryfile tv, nature docs, mountain films. I *half seriously" thought about recording my own moorland tapes at one time. One last call: have you heard Brian Eno's Ambient series? On Land - 4 is ace

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaBMbdUnBec
Jan 2016
9:33pm, 2 Jan 2016
2,099 posts
  •  
Cyclops
Can you knit or crochet while on a treadmill?
Jan 2016
3:03pm, 3 Jan 2016
1,972 posts
  •  
Drell
DT: that's great, and not something I'd thought of. I was going along the lines of really engaging my mind, but this is a completely different approach. I'll definitely give it a try.

Cyclops: I'd thought of that, but I'm doing rowing machine and elliptical motion machine, both of which use arms and hands. And the elliptical motion doesn't have a good place to rest a book, though I might be able to rig something up.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Drell
I've got a gammy foot at the moment, and need to stick to low impact exercise. That mainly means ma...