plodding hippo
Just freaking mad, hey?

I did enjoy ice cream and cockels in skeggy though
Oct 2011
9:24pm, 2 Oct 2011
89 posts
  •  
exflyboy
Hi I thought the race organisation was fantastic. The amount of drinks stations and places to get water were phenominal. I think I was still suffering from heat exhaustion at the end, and the wheels came right off at 16 miles. Without all the water, I and probably many others would have been in a real state. Pass on my thanks to all the marshalls if thats possible.
Oct 2011
9:36pm, 2 Oct 2011
1,599 posts
  •  
samson
Will pass on all comments, cheers :)
And well done EFB!
Oct 2011
9:51pm, 2 Oct 2011
1,600 posts
  •  
samson
You can print off a certificate from the results website...see earlier link..
Oct 2011
9:55pm, 2 Oct 2011
2,075 posts
  •  
Lisrun
That was very tough (see blog) because of the weather, but the organisation and the marshalls were top class.

Well done samson and all your helpers :-)
Oct 2011
10:37pm, 2 Oct 2011
9,671 posts
  •  
SODIron © 2002
DNF for me...well pi$$ed orf with this.

Started the race feeling good, relaxed and ready to rock 'n' roll, cruised mile 1 in 06:52/mi, doing the same in mile 2 until I collided with a pedestrian outside the Co-Op....WTF was he doing in the middle of the road on a race, especially when there was a marshall within 5 metres...

I saw him coming, shouted a warning moved over, he matched my move, moved back, he matched again, then we collided...I sent him flying onto his a$$ and I did the same. I tweaked my right ankle a little so decided to pull out around half a mile later...fingers crossed all will be fine for Chester Marathon next week...

Not happy with the marshalling though....poor, just poor. :-(
Zeb
Oct 2011
10:43pm, 2 Oct 2011
515 posts
  •  
Zeb
I agree re water stations. Bit disappointed to hear a marathon runner swearing at the the marshalls around 11 miles about lack of energy drinks although clearly mentioned in race booklet.
Oct 2011
10:53pm, 2 Oct 2011
36,783 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
O no sod
:(

I saw ya coming back, and was gutted for you
Oct 2011
11:02pm, 2 Oct 2011
9,672 posts
  •  
SODIron © 2002
could have finished but right ankle was feeling a little sore so decided to withdraw in an attempt to prevent any damage as I'm running Chester Marathon next week....couldn't believe a marshall would allow the bloke to walk in front of runners. Very poor, and puts both the runner (me) and pedestrian in risk of serious injury.

Poor...just poor. :-(
Oct 2011
11:03pm, 2 Oct 2011
5,778 posts
  •  
TRO Saracen
EA

Just back from Mablethorpe, brilliant race and superbly organised, marshalled and the bottled water was a life saver. I had a brilliant race, and undoubtedly the best marathon I have ever run. I was in 3:10 shape and hoped to lower my 4 year old PB of 3:13:07. After a mile knew this was a long shot so backed off a little and settled in at 7:20, reaching halfway in 1:37:15. Managed the heat well, nutrition was spot on and kept the pace going into the second half until a couple of bad miles 18-19 at 7:32 and 7:39. However stuck to nutrition, knew the bad phase would pass and when it did picked up the pace again. Passed dozens in the second half as they wilted in the heat, which felt great.

With 22 done tried to up the pace and knocked out a couple of 7:13 miles but couldn't keep this pace going for the final 2 miles. Finally crossed in 3:14:42, only my second sub 3:15, about 30 seconds slower for the second half which is spot on pacing and one of those races where you know that you'd squeezed every last ounce out and, given the conditions it was the absolute best I could have done. Marvelous. Thanks to organiser and all marshalls.

About This Thread

Maintained by samson
We should have a date for your diaries by the end of the month. :)