Lungs

3 watchers
Apr 2013
10:23pm, 24 Apr 2013
61 posts
  •  
PerfectOrganism
Has anyone else on this website ever suffered a pneumothorax? I have had it happen a few times on each side, had an operation on my left lung to resolve the problem when I was 16 (almost 20 years ago), and am considering an operation on the right lung due to ongoing niggles and pain with it. I'd just like to discuss with people how they think it affects their running (if at all) and if they do any extra exercises to try and regain a bit of lung function.
Jul 2013
10:08pm, 5 Jul 2013
6,742 posts
  •  
Oysterboy
That sounds unpleasant. Sorry I can't help!
Jul 2013
9:30am, 6 Jul 2013
97 posts
  •  
PerfectOrganism
Ach, it's not as bad as it sounds; it's just that the site where they did the operation flares up from time to time leading to a bit of chest tightness and I do sometimes feel short of breath. My doc recommended swimming as he says it's the only exercise that actually expands your lung capacity. I do like swimming, but just struggle to get to the pool regularly.

Thanks for your reply man!
rhb
May 2015
7:36pm, 12 May 2015
697 posts
  •  
rhb
my lung partially collapsed just over a week ago. Skinny plus Tall = at risk apparently. Surprised there's not more mention of it online, be nice to have a place to ask about recovery strengthening etc which isn't docs simple 'avoid strenuous' stuff without guide for when i might get going again. For now need to rest tho which is frustrating :(
rhb
Jun 2015
11:48pm, 14 Jun 2015
698 posts
  •  
rhb
My lung went again 15th May.

First run back tonight, gentle. Fingers crossed no bad reaction to it.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Perfect Organism
Has anyone else on this website ever suffered a pneumothorax? I have had it happen a few times on ea...