Lump on shin?

3 watchers
Dec 2013
4:18pm, 15 Dec 2013
45 posts
  •  
BarefootEm
Hey....

I have have tender shins for a long time on and off...they only hurt when someone or something touches them and then it feels like I have been belted!! It is so painful :(

Now though I have a small, about the size of a pea, lump on my left shin. It seems to by just under the skin, as I can move the skin over it (urgh), it is very sore to touch, and as the last couple of days have gone on it is getting more sore even when not touched. I am now aware of it all the time.

So you l;ovely bunch of runners you, anyone got any thoughts? Someone else out there in Fetchland must also have had or have something similar? :/

Thanks,
Em
x
Dec 2013
8:29pm, 22 Dec 2013
4,491 posts
  •  
jonp
Have you done a 'tap' test on the sore spot. Basically just use your index finger and give it some quick taps. If it hurts like hell, then it's a possible stress fracture (it's not un common for "shin splints" to turn into a stress fracture if not rested properly). Don't mean to alarm you, but if it does hurt a lot then do not run on it, but instead go to the doctor.

A stress fracture will take 6 weeks to heal, and then gradual reintroduction of jogging then walking afterwards. If you try and run on one, then you could be out for months and months. Like I say, don't want to alarm you but its best to check.
Dec 2013
8:39pm, 22 Dec 2013
359 posts
  •  
JenLov
Sounds alarmingly similar to the stress fracture I had a couple of years ago. Best to get it checked out. I went to my GP who sent me straight to x ray. Stress fractures don't always show up first on x ray (although mine was very clear!) hope it's not this but better to be safe than sorry. Best of luck.
Jul 2019
10:59am, 29 Jul 2019
10,396 posts
  •  
MazH
I have the pea lump thingy too, but no pain associated with it.... I'm now having the fear that there could be something lurking!

Following with morbid interest. x
Jul 2019
11:07am, 29 Jul 2019
339 posts
  •  
snayak
I concur that it *may* be a stress related injury. I had the same pain in my fibula and kept running on it until it finally did fracture. Rest for a couple weeks and see if it heals!
Jul 2019
11:09am, 29 Jul 2019
340 posts
  •  
snayak
I just realized that "running on it" makes absolutely no sense, as what else what would I be running on? My hands? #pedantry
Jul 2019
1:19pm, 29 Jul 2019
1,161 posts
  •  
oumaumau
I wonder if it got better over the last 6 years.... :P
Jul 2019
1:34pm, 29 Jul 2019
341 posts
  •  
snayak
haha Didn't see the date there!
Nov 2019
4:34pm, 27 Nov 2019
143 posts
  •  
BarefootEm
Haha oumaumau yes, it sorted itself out with a little rest and lowering the mileage... Did visit walk in clinic, but they didn't x-ray, just told me to rest it!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by BarefootEm
Hey....

I have have tender shins for a long time on and off...they only hurt when someone or some...