Lower shin pain

2 watchers
b8s
Sep 2015
1:40pm, 15 Sep 2015
3 posts
  •  
b8s
I'm a relatively new runner, having started running regularly in the spring and increasing my mileage gradually over the summer. I was eventually able to run 10-12k quite comfortably, but just over a month ago I started experiencing pain in my lower right inside shin. It only hurts when I run and only after a few km, gradually getting worse. No pain when I'm at rest. I just took two weeks off, which I thought had solved it after I went for a short run with no pain. But on attempting a slightly longer run I found the pain had returned.
It's only in a specific part of my shin so I was worried about fractures, but when I press on the painful area it doesn't hurt or feel bumpy, the pain is only when running.
Has anyone else experienced this? I'm planning to have gait analysis soon as I think I have a tendency to roll my right ankle, not sure if this could also be causing shin pain?
Sep 2015
2:16pm, 15 Sep 2015
16,430 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Welcome to Fetch :-)

Sounds like it could be shin splints*? Definitely good to get your gait looked at. Are you taking rest days between your runs? That might help give your bones and tendons time to adapt to the load.

*I'm not in any way medically qualified. In fact, I'm not sure I'm in any way qualified :-)
Sep 2015
2:25pm, 15 Sep 2015
341 posts
  •  
Chris
I've been running for a few years now and since Thursday have been suffering with what sounds like the same problem.

Like the fool I am I carried on running but after a limpy run yesterday thought its best to have a rest. Compression socks and ice(or something cool) is my plan but your report of 2 weeks not being enough time doesn't fill me with hope, I had hoped to be up and running again by Friday :(
b8s
Sep 2015
10:47pm, 15 Sep 2015
4 posts
  •  
b8s
Hi, thanks for the suggestions. I've been taking rest days between running, I rarely run two days in a row but do cycle in between run days.

Chris, all the best hope you are back up and running soon!
Sep 2015
10:54pm, 15 Sep 2015
First-time poster!!
  •  
deansaliba
Could it be the surface we are running on? I too get this pain and take rest days, but I also play football at the weekends and don't get the pain then, only when I go on my runs and I run on roads/pavements.
b8s
Oct 2015
9:32am, 3 Oct 2015
5 posts
  •  
b8s
If anyone is still following this or having a similar problem...I ended up seeing a physiotherapist who pointed out to me that my right hip was significantly weaker than my left, and months of running with this imbalance had gradually started to cause problems elsewhere in my body, which only would have gotten worse over time.

I was given exercises to help strengthen my weaker side and after a few weeks am now back to running pain free!

My point is that I'd thoroughly recommend getting help that's specifically tailored to you, as everyone's body is different and there may be a number of reasons behind the pain depending on your own body's strengths and weaknesses or biomechanics.

Gait analysis has also helped, where I was stunned to find that my running shoes were a size and a half too small! Definitely a humbling experience!
Oct 2015
3:41pm, 4 Oct 2015
352 posts
  •  
Chris
Good to hear you're up and running again.

I'm still struggling with mine. I saw a physio, who I've seen before, and the only reason for mine was a tight calf. Missed 2 planned races now 😁

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by b8s
I'm a relatively new runner, having started running regularly in the spring and increasing my milea...