Low serum ferritin/ anaemia

12 watchers
Jun 2015
8:12pm, 23 Jun 2015
537 posts
  •  
NRGEE
I have recently discovered that I have a low serum ferritin- at least it is at the lower end of the "normal" range. My serum ferritin is 14 and I have been advised by my GP to start an iron supplement. I was just wondering if this value means I am anaemic? I don't know what my haemoglobin value is; but I have an appt with the GP next week to discuss my blood results. I was asked to ring the practice to speak to the GP regarding my blood test results. The bloods were taken at a routine "MOT" visit as I said I was having heavy periods and didn't eat red meat. I have been feeling tired lately especially after exercise. Just wondering if a serum ferritin of 14 is low for a runner and if it can significantly effect training. I have looked at iron in the vitamin section of Boots; but have been told it is best to ask for ferrous sulphate from over the counter. Has anyone else experienced low serum ferritin? What was your treatment and how long did it take to start feeling less tired.
Jun 2015
9:58pm, 29 Jun 2015
1,032 posts
  •  
lady alton
I have had borderline anaemia, not low enough to too troublesome, I find I can't tolerate ferous sulphate so instead I take Spatone, it's iron rich water and you take a sachet a day with some juice. I get mine from Amazon on a regular thing.
You'll have to pay for it but it works for me
Oct 2015
11:11pm, 5 Oct 2015
66 posts
  •  
smallclanger
Hi this so so late....sorry.
Your ferritin is your iron store so if you have a low haemoglobin or borderline you don't top

Up this store which is why you feel like you do. I'm the same cos I'm a veggie. I take ferrous fumarate..you can buy these to try at the pharmacy. I'm very sceptical of spatone as the amount of iron in it isn't great n not all its cooked up to be.
Resetting take your iron with orange juice and not with a cup of tea as the tea stops it working. I'm in pharmacy which is how I know x
Oct 2015
3:19pm, 9 Oct 2015
96 posts
  •  
PeeG
I have low levels as well and was told to try ferrous fumarate or something similar (can't remember exact name) from the pharmacy. It was hard to tell if I noticed a difference in tiredness, but stopped taking them as felt they gave me stomach issues.
Oct 2015
8:23pm, 9 Oct 2015
6,802 posts
  •  
Ness
I get stomach/gut trouble with the ferrous fumarate so have found that, although spatone has a lower iron content, it seems to get into my system better and is worth the cost.
Oct 2015
10:38am, 10 Oct 2015
997 posts
  •  
TeeBee
Hi NRGEE, and others - only just seen this thread. I posed a similar question previously 2011.

http://www.fetcheveryone.com/forum__45618__1__can_low_ferritin_levels_explain_breathlessness

There may be something of interest for you in there, but I can't remember precisely the outcome! I don't think I ever really got to the bottom of the problem, to be honest. Good luck!
Oct 2017
9:46pm, 26 Oct 2017
1,564 posts
  •  
PenW
Just found this and the above linked thread.
I’ve just found out today my ferritin level was 4 when tested the other week. I’m not sure what my haemoglobin level is. I see the GP on Monday.

I’d not thought about iron levels and I’d been feeling like my training and fitness was improving after a long time feeling really unfit. BUT I’ve been finding myself walking more and more when running more than a mile or so. I also feel the lactic acid build quickly and I get breathless easily after effort (though I always have). I’ve felt like this a long time. I’ve also felt fatigued at work particularly with poor concentration. I thought it was all in my head but I’m wondering if it is all in fact connected.

It’ll be interesting to see what effect improved iron levels have on my training.
Nov 2017
6:27pm, 3 Nov 2017
412 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
That all sounds like low iron levels to me PenW. I take Spatone daily as I'm not good at tolerating the ferrous fumarate the doctor usually prescribes.
Nov 2017
9:15pm, 3 Nov 2017
1,565 posts
  •  
PenW
I’ve started ferrous fumarate and so far managing to tolerate it. Hopefully it will help!

I’ve heard good things about Spatone.
May 2019
12:44pm, 23 May 2019
1,728 posts
  •  
PenW
Hi all
I’ve been feeling terrible recently (fatigue, feeling weak, breathless on exertion, poor endurance, cold hands/feel the cold) and my running has felt more and more of an effort. I’ve had iron deficiency in the past.

I had my iron levels checked the other day and the results have come in with a ferritin of 28 (down from 45 in November). The GP doesn’t think that has anything to do with my symptoms as it’s in the normal range. I’m going in this afternoon for an appointment to see if they can figure out what else it could be. I was really hoping it was the iron in a way (clear fix that has worked in the past). I still think it may be having a bit of an effect. Has anyone else had symptoms from a ferritin of 28?

About This Thread

Maintained by NRGEE
I have recently discovered that I have a low serum ferritin- at least it is at the lower end of the ...