Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

Low serum ferritin/ anaemia

9 watchers
May 2019
12:49pm, 23 May 2019
41701 posts
Velociraptor
My ferritin is never much above single figures with a normal haemoglobin, and I have no symptoms at all.
May 2019
1:58pm, 23 May 2019
557 posts
NRGEE
my ferritin when it was last checked was 12. My haemoglobin was in the normal range. I did start taking ferrous sulfate; but didn't like taking it as it made me v constipated. I don't have any symptoms. On discussing the issue with my Dr he concluded that I have a naturally low ferritin. It did increase when taking the iron for 8 weeks. We decided though that I didn't need to continue taking the iron and to just accept that I have a low ferritin. Physically, I don't feel any different having stopped the iron.
May 2019
2:12pm, 23 May 2019
25355 posts
HellsBells
Ferritin is iron stores, haemoglobin is what you have to use. If your haemoglobin is normal it doesn't matter what your ferritin is, as you have a normal level of oxygen carrying molecules. There are no symptoms associated with a low ferritin in the presence of a normal Hb.
Think of it like money - haemoglobin is your current account which you use every day for normal life. Ferritin is like a savings account which you dip into if the current account runs low. As long as the current account has sufficient funds you can live perfectly normally with zero in the savings account as you don't need it to top up. It's a bit simplistic as an analogy but that's basic how it works
May 2019
2:22pm, 23 May 2019
5061 posts
Northern Exile
It's a good analogy. My ferritin levels are normal, but I struggle to maintain normal Hb levels, my last test - a few weeks back, was on the low side at 121. I have an inflammatory form of arthritis and it could be the disease that's causing, but equally so it could be the GI/leaky gut problem I have [apparently] that's causing the autoimmune condition. Currently using Floravital to try and get levels back up.
May 2019
2:24pm, 23 May 2019
1414 posts
Little Miss Happy
Pen - I'm not a doctor but that sounds a lot like my experience before being diagnosed with hypothyroidism and then pernicious anaemia. Hope your GP can find something that's easy to fix.
May 2019
5:44pm, 23 May 2019
10450 posts
Cerrertonia
Alex Hutchinson (who I really rate) wrote an article about iron and running today.

outsideonline.com
May 2019
6:12pm, 23 May 2019
1729 posts
PenW

Getting more bloods done next week to check thyroid, b12 and a few other things.
May 2019
7:34pm, 23 May 2019
5062 posts
Northern Exile
You can have some of my B12 if you want. My levels are up around 1300 - 1400, nearly three times the upper limit!

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by NRGEE
I have recently discovered that I have a low serum ferritin- at least it is at the lower end of the ...