Low serum ferritin/ anaemia

11 watchers
22 Aug
11:44am, 22 Aug 2022
43,403 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I take 300mg Ferrous Sulfate now as I got dingied by blood donation centre a couple times. No idea if it helps me go up hills! :-) G
22 Aug
11:45am, 22 Aug 2022
43,404 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Sorry, 200mg I think it is. Not available in shopping aisles, but available over the counter at pharmacy after answering some questions. :-) G
22 Aug
11:49am, 22 Aug 2022
18,758 posts
  •  
larkim
I was amazed at the rapid action, tbh. And given her levels were so way out (without any other indications of problems, e.g. no internal bleeding evident, no evidence of really significant lethargy etc) its no great surprise I suppose that she's responded well (I believe the issue is of some "factor" being required to help generate B12 which then helps the iron absorbtion).

Her level was below 4.0 and recommended is about 150 for iron I think!
17 Oct
12:46pm, 17 Oct 2022
19,312 posts
  •  
larkim
Final follow up here I think; yesterday my better half, doped up on iron and B12, ran the fastest 5 miles of her life, and the 2nd fastest 5k of her life on the way there. Aged grading wise she's faster than she's ever been.

All down to previously undiagnosed anaemia and the tablets getting her back onto the right path. Insane how much difference those small things have made!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by NRGEE
I have recently discovered that I have a low serum ferritin- at least it is at the lower end of the ...