•  
plodding hippo
Imferon(shudder)
Aug 2012
3:59pm, 20 Aug 2012
124 posts
  •  
Not so lazytoad!
Ah its good to see its not just me then! SpatoneI didnt mind but im on superstrength docs stuff now its like licking a rusty name with a sugary aftertaste!
AJH
Aug 2012
6:09pm, 26 Aug 2012
74 posts
  •  
AJH
I've been taking ferrous fumarate for 5 weeks now, stomach wasn't good at first but settling now.

Best bit, 5k before starting 24.43. 5k last week, 23.23.

I'm not going back to docs til 12 weeks but I'm assuming something is working :) I'm still not running anything like as many miles as I used to, but it's ok if I enjoy it when I do.
Aug 2012
7:56pm, 27 Aug 2012
126 posts
  •  
Not so lazytoad!
Pleased to hear its doing it's job ajh hopefully fingers crossed its an indication your numbers are now on the up :)

I got my blood results back my ion is now right at the bottom of normal range so much improved. Doc thinks long term supplement is the way to go with 6 monthly blood tests. Should mean it doesnt plummet again.
AJH
Aug 2012
4:08pm, 28 Aug 2012
75 posts
  •  
AJH
thats what I'm worried about NSLT, stopping the tablets and going downhill again.................I mean why wouldn't it?

I guess I will talk to the doc about that when I see him and have had the tests.

22.16 this weekend :-D
Aug 2012
7:43pm, 28 Aug 2012
12,727 posts
  •  
sioUx
I was planning to carry on taking a multivitamin with iron when I eventually stop the ferritin.
Aug 2012
9:03pm, 28 Aug 2012
26 posts
  •  
smallclanger
my ferritin levels and folate levels are low but I'm vegetarian and I don't think this helps. You ferritin stores can be low from prolonged iron intake I'm told.

I've given up giving blood - I did wonder why it took me sooo long to get over each donation and running was a killer for easily 3 weeks. I''m a pharmacy tech and take ferrous fumarate. no good evidence to support the use of expensive Spatone over the other preps. as for side effects - you do just need to try different ones to find one that suits.
Aug 2012
1:47pm, 29 Aug 2012
128 posts
  •  
Not so lazytoad!
My thoughts exactly AJH and in the past my body seems to have proved it!

Smalldanger I too have given up giving blood, it seems to wipe me out for weeks so the benefits of doing a good deed for someone else end up leaving me feeling rotten.
Aug 2012
2:53pm, 29 Aug 2012
12,733 posts
  •  
sioUx
I haven't donated for a while either but do feel guilty about it.

I have 'O neg' blood group which is always in high demand as the 'universal donor'.

It's also the blood group we use for the babies I care for at work do everytime I give a transfusion it's a reminder for me that I haven't donated and that baby can only have the treatment required cos someone else has.

That said, I know it's not wise at the mo but maybe once my levels have increased and energy levels really have recovered again I'll get back to donating.
Aug 2012
3:05pm, 29 Aug 2012
1,017 posts
  •  
Welshwomble (WW)
pops on to thread to say hello :)

I have been to the dentist today and she has instructed me to see my doctor as my gums are very pale. My dentist is aware that I was B12 and Iron deficient with low folate last year and thinks my levels may have dropped again. I have been feeling quite tired again but put it down to my return to running although if I am honest there have been other tell tale signs like my hair falling out and a few spaced out moments or dropping things.

I have been taking my supplements but perhaps they are not enough to maintain the levels I had after my B12 injections and iron/folate meds last year.

Oh well, only 1 way to tell - and typical as I was being allowed off the donation naughty step in October.

Will continue to lurk until I know anything.

About This Thread

Maintained by Nutso Lazytoad!
Hi All

I wonder if anyone can help me, I have been running for about 18 months and confess to ha...