loss of fitness

2 watchers
Jun 2013
4:47pm, 18 Jun 2013
276 posts
  •  
becky f
When you cant run for 4-6 weeks and cant cross train for about 2-3 weeks how much running fitness will you lose ?How long does it take to get it back? Will you lose lots of your speed?Say it takes me I hour 47 mins for a half marathon does that mean my next half marathon which is the end of September I will be a lot slower or can I get my speed back by then?
Jun 2013
12:36am, 26 Jun 2013
534 posts
  •  
StormProof
The textbooks suggest that you lose fitness after about 3 weeks. But if you think of tapering...as long as the work has been put in beforehand you can run a PB even with 2 weeks of very little.

If you can get back into hills and speed training quickly as well as bringing the longs runs on I'd suggest the you could still keep your pace. How committed can you be is the key I would say.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by
When you cant run for 4-6 weeks and cant cross train for about 2-3 weeks how much running fitness wi...