Long term lower leg pain

1 watcher
Aug 2013
1:23pm, 7 Aug 2013
First-time poster!!
  •  
Damien Culley
Hi,

I've been suffering from lower leg pain for over a year now and NHS physios can's seem to solve the problem. The symptoms are as follows:

After use (walking, cycling etc) I get an ache near the top and outside of my right calf. This also tends to come pain with the length of my shin (shin splints?). I have full range of motion in my leg with no discomfort. The odd thing (to me) is that if I wear a patellofemoral the pain appears to disappear instantly.

I haven't run over a year although I have started cycling in the last few months which doesn't seem to aggravate it too much. The other odd thing is that I have come to realise that I get similar symptoms in that leg after drinking which I believe is caused by lactic acid build up. Not sure if this is related in anyway.

Anyway - if anyone has any advice on this please let me know.
Aug 2013
1:58pm, 8 Aug 2013
161 posts
  •  
Funky Chicken
Hello Damien and sorry to hear about your leg pain. I'm afraid I can't shed much light on it myself but as you are a first-time poster I thought it would be a pity if no-one responded to your query at all! Folks on Fetch are a friendly bunch and quite talkative so it's easy for a thread to drop quickly out of sight. Hopefully if it reappears near the top of the thread list, someone with more knowledge on the subject might see it and be able to offer their perspective.

Just a couple of thoughts from me: have you tried any kind of compression socks or calf guards; and do you stretch or use a foam roller? And have you looked into orthotics (with help and advice of a physio) in case it's anything to do with flat feet/length of one leg compared to the other, that might inadvertently result in one calf getting a bit more of a pull in it than the other?
Aug 2013
7:29pm, 8 Aug 2013
2 posts
  •  
Damien Culley
Hi. Thanks for the reply.
I've not tried compression socks or calf guards so I'll look into them. I've been using orthotics (since the pain started) as I have virtually no arches but I haven't noticed much of a difference. I try to make sure that I stretch and been have looking into foam rollers although I'd only previously come across them in relation to ITB. I'll look into getting one.
Aug 2013
10:41pm, 8 Aug 2013
163 posts
  •  
Funky Chicken
Glad to be of help. Foam rollers can be good for ironing out general tightness in your muscles though I've been warned to avoid over-use so not every day or long sessions with them. Re: the socks etc, get the person in the shop to give you a proper explanation so that you're satisfied that they could be of help to you before you splurge out - wouldn't want you going on a spending spree because of me :)
Aug 2013
10:47pm, 8 Aug 2013
978 posts
  •  
Tarahumara
Could be nerve trapping from tight glutes

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Hi,

I've been suffering from lower leg pain for over a year now and NHS physios can's seem to s...