Long Run woes - help please

10 watchers
Aug 2013
9:45pm, 29 Aug 2013
743 posts
  •  
Canute
Tim,
If your marathon is at the end of Sept, the main thing now is not to overdo it in the final few weeks. The fact that early this week you ran 8 miles in less than 70 minutes feeling very relaxed and comfortable almost certainly means you have adequate aerobic capacity for a 4:00 – 4:10 marathon.

If you only reached 16 miles for the LR last week, you are likely to be a bit short on endurance. Nonetheless, I note that you have been pretty consistently in the vicinity of 70-100 miles per month for 8 months, which is on the light side but is not catastrophic. I know a guy older than you who ran sub 3:30 after less than 700 miles in the preceding 8 months – but you shouldn’t conclude too much from one anecdote.

Provided last Friday’s long run was an atypical bad day, which is likely in light of Monday's relaxed 8 miler, I think you have a reasonable chance of hitting your target. If a half mara this week helps build your confidence, that is fine, and even a half will contribute usefully to endurance. I think you should do one more longer run before the taper, but I would be cautious about a sudden major increase in total volume next week. Whatever you choose, good luck.
Aug 2013
3:33pm, 30 Aug 2013
1,973 posts
  •  
Tim of MK
Canute4

Thanks for your supportive message.

Today, despite being tired (up several times in the night), I set myself an 'ideal world' training target of running a sub-1:55 half marathon and then (without a break) jogging on for a further couple of miles.

It went absolutely brilliantly. At about effort Level 6 out of 10, I cantered through 13.1 miles in 1:54.06 (57.17/56.49) - actually better than any of my half-marathon races in recent years. I then quite deliberately dropped right down to 10kph and loped along for another 2.9 miles.

So, overall, I ended up completing 16.0 miles in 2:22.05 (8.53 per mile).

Awesome. So pleased. Today has given me a lot of confidence. I may not have enough endurance to run a 4hour marathon. But I think that I might have a chance of bettering my 4:13 PB (set back in 2006).
Aug 2013
4:04pm, 30 Aug 2013
26,884 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
That sounds very promising, Tim :) Especially as you were running easily and not half-killing yourself :)
Aug 2013
4:33pm, 30 Aug 2013
5,928 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
AGree, that suggests that something si going well in training - well done
Aug 2013
7:15pm, 30 Aug 2013
1,974 posts
  •  
Tim of MK
Hopefully, race-day will be 'easier' mile-for-mile than today. I'll be outdoors in the cool, fresh air, rather than in a hot, airless gym (I find treadies so much harder than the road). I'll be rested, rather than tired. And I'll be running with someone, rather than on my own.
Aug 2013
7:15pm, 30 Aug 2013
1,975 posts
  •  
Tim of MK
Hopefully, race-day will be 'easier' mile-for-mile than today. I'll be outdoors in the cool, fresh air, rather than in a hot, airless gym (I find treadies so much harder than the road). I'll be rested, rather than tired. And I'll be running with someone, rather than on my own.
Aug 2013
9:22pm, 30 Aug 2013
746 posts
  •  
Canute
Tim
Well done. I think the propsects of a PB are good.
Sep 2013
10:43pm, 20 Sep 2013
1,982 posts
  •  
Tim of MK
For a fourth week in a row, today's long run went brilliantly. I have many motivations whilst doing these long runs. and indeed all

my training runs. One of them is a previous poster's comment that my regime was "woefully inadequate". We'll see lol.
Sep 2013
6:57am, 21 Sep 2013
10,360 posts
  •  
paul a
I'm glad to be of motivational assistance Tim.
Oct 2013
3:36pm, 8 Oct 2013
1,993 posts
  •  
Tim of MK
Just to give 'closure' to this old thread, I did Chester in 4:04 (a PB by over 9 minutes).

The 'ideal world' plan was a big positive split. Something along the lines of 1:53/2:06.

On race-day, as it turned out, I was quite enjoying myself in the early miles and went through half-way in 1:50. Straightaway, went down a couple of gears to conserve energy and protect my legs.

I was still on course for sub-4 as late on as the Mile 23 marker.

Unfortunately, had some 'issues' (cramping, locked shoulders) in the last 3+ miles. But still thrilled.

About This Thread

Maintained by Tim of Fife
I'm in training for a full-marathon. My schedule, as with pretty much every one published, includ...