Long Run woes - help please

10 watchers
Aug 2013
8:47pm, 25 Aug 2013
1,195 posts
  •  
HuwH
I find for long runs over 16 miles I need gels or shot blocks or something more than fluids. Sports drinks don't work for me.
Aug 2013
8:54pm, 25 Aug 2013
563 posts
  •  
mblnFERCr
Tim, Paul A is probably right. Looking at your training volume for the year it's on the low side for marathoning well. Marathons (IMHO) require a high level of base training - despite the what magical 0-marathon in 16 weeks stories/training programs tell you. Depends what you want out of your marathon I suppose - for me I'd like to finish comfortably having paced it well - instead of loving the first half, then dying on my @rse.
Good luck
Aug 2013
8:57pm, 25 Aug 2013
26,795 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I'd be inclined to agree about adding a few more miles in during the week, maybe a "medium-long" run of about two-thirds of the length of the long run. But I'm always hesitant to declare someone else's training "not enough" unless it's really piss-takingly paltry, because I've ended up with egg on my face from doing that in the past.
Aug 2013
9:49pm, 25 Aug 2013
1,968 posts
  •  
Tim of MK
I've been using a training schedule from a very reputable source. If it works, I'll have a great run. If it doesn't, I'll still get around.
Really and truly, my only 'set in stone' aspirations are to have a great long weekend, come home with a medal and finisher's t-shirt, and raise some funds for a worthy charity.
Aug 2013
11:25pm, 25 Aug 2013
3,571 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
I don't think the training is inadequate, the only crucial run to be done each week for me is the long run. For those piping on about higher volumes / base training etc remember that it's possible to have different goals in life.

I remember why most of your runs are done on a treadmill so I don't see an issue with that either.

Could you try using the famous fruity pies as fuel for your next long run?
Aug 2013
12:44am, 26 Aug 2013
733 posts
  •  
Canute
In light of the information you have given about past performances and also weight loss, I think 4:00 to 4:10 is a perfectly reasonable target providing your training is adequate.

You state that you are using a reputable training program, so there is no need for radical re-evaluation after one bad run.

However, any sustained decrease in well being after return from foreign travel needs appraisal. Assuming there are no health issues, if you continue to find that the long runs leave you feeling thrashed for 48 hours, something needs adjusting.

The easiest adjustment might be to slacken the pace of the long run, and accept whatever time tuns out to be possible on race day.

If target time of 4:00-4:10 does really matter to you, and the long runs continue to leave you thrashed for 48 hours then the program needs re-appraisal. People respond differently to a given amount and type of training, so there is no guarantee that any particular program will allow you to achieve your target time in a comfortable manner. I know very little of your circumstances or past training history, but for many people trying to improve on a PB set when a few years younger, the strategy most likely to work is an increase in total volume and, if necessary, a small reduction in intensity of the long run
Aug 2013
1:40pm, 26 Aug 2013
1,969 posts
  •  
Tim of MK
The fruity pies are still part of my life, just far, far fewer. I've still to do my fruity pie charity marathon - ie eat 26.2 pies back to back. I'll do it one day. No training required lol.

Today, I banged out a totally effortless 8-miler on the treadmill. I wasn't pushing at all hard physically (effort level 5 to 6 out of 10), but felt really brilliant and I know that I could have easily carried on at the same pace for another 45 minutes, which would have resulted in 1:54 for just a training half-marathon. It is always the same on 'restricted calorie' days. Everything is so much 'alive'.

We'll see what next Friday's long effort brings.

Thanks for all of your comments.
Aug 2013
6:49pm, 27 Aug 2013
1,970 posts
  •  
Tim of MK
Just been having a chat with my erstwhile race-day partner. Seemingly, we're going to aim for a 1:55 first half - gulp. So, I guess I can look forward to my wheels gradually falling off through the second half lol.
Aug 2013
6:56pm, 27 Aug 2013
7,749 posts
  •  
Oysterboy
Why would you do that? Seems like you'd just be setting yourself up to fail.
Aug 2013
8:00pm, 27 Aug 2013
2,030 posts
  •  
ChrisThePuma
studies on here show that unless you are an "elite" virtually everyone else will do a positive split marathon, so this just means he will be banking some time for later.
Great stuff Tim - what marathon is your target race?

About This Thread

Maintained by Tim of Fife
I'm in training for a full-marathon. My schedule, as with pretty much every one published, includ...