Long run fuelling

2 watchers
Sep 2012
4:01pm, 10 Sep 2012
13,667 posts
  •  
sheri3004
I did a very slow 20 miles today - last long run before marathon taper. I used the fuelling strategy I've used successfully before (most notably when running an ultra in March) i.e. Shot Bloks - which I find marginally more palatable than gels - or occasional gel every 5 miles or so (just Shot Bloks today) plus water with a Nuun tablet in my Camelbak. Not too bad on the run itself but felt really ill when I got home and subsequently threw up several times (sorry if tmi).

This has somewhat put me off the above fuelling strategy which I was planning to use for the marathon, but obviously I don't have any more long runs planned on which to try any alternatives, so wondering what's best to do - put this down to a blip and stick with the Shot Bloks, or take a risk with something else??

Any advice welcome, thanks :)
Sep 2012
4:05pm, 10 Sep 2012
5,039 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Rule 1: experiment on training runs, not on the day. So given this was your last long run before then mara, I'd put it down to a blip and not change. Sickness is kind of random anyway, I've suffered bad nausea once on a marathon and then never again since. I personally like cereal bars, I find gels can be too sickly, and shot bloks fall a little into that category anyway.
Sep 2012
4:05pm, 10 Sep 2012
1,231 posts
  •  
heffaroo
Stick with it...sure as long as you're only throwing up afterwards you're grand! :)

...oh and it sounds more like a dodgy tummy or something as its worked before for ye.
Sep 2012
4:09pm, 10 Sep 2012
13,668 posts
  •  
sheri3004
That's pretty much what I thought - thanks :) I really don't want to try anything new on the day! I'm feeling a bit sick at the thought of Shot Bloks at the moment but hopefully that will wear off.... I do find them very sickly but not quite as bad as gels.

I have had cereal bars in the past without incident so that's an option.

I'd rather not throw up at 20 miles but hey, if I do, I do. :)
Sep 2012
4:21pm, 10 Sep 2012
20,741 posts
  •  
Frobester
Timely thread for me thanks Sheri - I'm working my way up to mara #2 in November and have yet to address this issue. I've got a Inov-8 race pro hydration pack, which I'll probably use the belt pouches for storing stuff in, but whither gels. I last used gels during Oakley 20 (March 11) and hurled post-finish, and really did not enjoy either ingesting them or how I felt once I'd done so. Maybe cereal bars/tablets are ther way forward. I've never used Nuun before, would you recommend them?
Sep 2012
10:12pm, 10 Sep 2012
81 posts
  •  
beebop
I've found the Clif bars very good for long training runs, but prefer shot bloks for races - I'd assume if you've not had a problem before, you probably had another reason for the reaction. If they were the caffeinated ones, perhaps try a different flavour? Maybe try on or before your next couple of training runs to check your reaction, and hopefully get rid of any subconscious nasty associations!

Good luck with your marathon - hope it goes well. :-)
Sep 2012
10:21pm, 10 Sep 2012
233 posts
  •  
Mick n Phil
Chrisull

well said

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by sheri3004
I did a very slow 20 miles today - last long run before marathon taper. I used the fuelling strategy...