Derby Tup
:-)
Mar 2023
11:29am, 20 Mar 2023
4,415 posts
  •  
Curly45
S'up

Just looking at first 7 days of Pennine Way as an option to escape coronation + Birthday week.

Anyway - there appears to be no accommodation at all in Torside now or am I missing something?
May 2023
10:04am, 9 May 2023
2,679 posts
  •  
Mushroom
Oh wise folk of fetch, I'd like to delve into your collective wisdom please. My partner wants to celebrate her 50th later this year with a few days walking. Has anyone any experience of using a transport / sherpa company to move luggage, or using a walking holiday company?

We've not used either before. What are the pitfalls I need to be aware of?

We'd probably be looking at maybe 3 days of walking over a 4 day period. We haven't given any thought to location yet. If in the UK, it's likely to be within 3 hours of West Yorkshire, but we could also look at somewhere 'on the continent'.

Happy to hear any recommendations. Thank you muchly.
May 2023
10:11am, 9 May 2023
47,626 posts
  •  
DocM
I use contour travel. They book accomodation and move the luggage. It worked perfectly
May 2023
10:17am, 9 May 2023
2,935 posts
  •  
Steve NordRunner
I have used several, e.g., on SWCP, WCP, Offa's Dyke, Hadrian's Wall, and many others. I have a series of tracks if that would help. My SO and I prefer to run-walk, and this subject was covered in a recnt running holidays thread.

I wouldn't say there are pitfalls if your are prepared for the costs of multiple B&Bs and baggage transfers by taxi. It is easier not to miss signposts on a coast path than cross-country, though neither are hard these days.

A pitfall at a stretch would be too many fried breakfasts and pub lunches. Another might be crossing inland fields with stock in them - get used to their harmless behaviour by watching some farming videos, otherwise someone in your party might cause delays due to undue nervousness.
May 2023
10:57am, 9 May 2023
3,933 posts
  •  
Pou Pou LePhoõk
If you're thinking of abroad, the Fisherman's Trail in Portugal is wonderful. You might need a week though, otherwise you'll spend most of your time travelling.
Mostly gentle walking, cheap accommodation, great food.

No idea abou baggage transfers, although I'm sure it would be possible.
May 2023
2:23pm, 9 May 2023
47,630 posts
  •  
DocM
Re the fried breakfasts, I mainly negotiated to exchange for a light breakfast plus a sandwich to go.
May 2023
2:31pm, 9 May 2023
2,680 posts
  •  
Mushroom
Thanks for the advice.

I'll check out Contour Travel DocM, see if there's something that appeals.

We generally like to save the pub to the end of the day - the mid-day visit makes the afternoon walk seem longer!
May 2023
5:09pm, 9 May 2023
145,422 posts
  •  
GregP
These? contourtravel.be

Or there? contours.co.uk
May 2023
11:29pm, 9 May 2023
47,631 posts
  •  
DocM
Yes the second one

About This Thread

Maintained by
Anyone else here ever do long distance walking or hiking? I'm training for a half marathon, I d...