London Marathon Underground Query

1 watcher
Apr 2013
5:34pm, 13 Apr 2013
1,363 posts
  •  
Minnie Mad
I was planning to drive all the way down from darkest Yorkshire to park somewhere like Watford Junction for around about 7am and get the underground into London and then on to the South Bank to watch the first half of the marathon.

Can anyone help me with some advice about whether the above is do-able, or if there is anywhere else close to the M1 that would be a good place to park and travel in from.

I was hoping to get a family travel card but I think Watford is outside zone 6?

Does anyone know how much it would be for 2 adults 2 kids for a day pass from Watford?

Any help or suggestions gratefully received.
Apr 2013
6:28pm, 13 Apr 2013
3,009 posts
  •  
Duchess
Can't answer the details (although Yokshire o London for 7am sounds scary...) but this is a good website for journey planning on public transport...

www.transportdirect.info
Apr 2013
6:49pm, 13 Apr 2013
2,835 posts
  •  
longboat
Minnie, go for Luton Airport parkway - 5 mins from J10 of the M1. From there you can get the train straight to Blackfriars (on the course at Mile 24) or if you are earlier, London Bridge - 5 min walk to Tower bridge for mile 12 and then across London Bridge for mile 23

Train is about 40 mins from Luton

Good luck - it will be a long day out!
Apr 2013
6:50pm, 13 Apr 2013
6,586 posts
  •  
JamieKai *chameleon*
Or check out tfl.gov.uk - I use them for complex journeys in London...
Apr 2013
9:28pm, 13 Apr 2013
1,365 posts
  •  
Minnie Mad
Thanks this is helpful we are planning to set off at 4.30am. Luton is a great idea with tickets £ 20 and parking £2. Thanks
Apr 2013
9:42pm, 13 Apr 2013
571 posts
  •  
Duffo
Minnie

Do have a look at the TFL and national rail enquires websites for the whole of your journey , as there may very well be engineering works on either national rail or the underground...

I realise it will involve a bit of forward planning , but have a couple of options up your sleeve in case your plan goes tits up..
Apr 2013
11:47am, 14 Apr 2013
2,267 posts
  •  
tom_craggs
Yes definitely check TFL - not worth the risk I live not far from the start - engineering works close most of lines (in parts) every weekend.
Apr 2013
12:02pm, 14 Apr 2013
748 posts
  •  
FreshStart
Or you could look at the VLM 2013 page on the TFL site tfl.gov.uk

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Minnie Mad
I was planning to drive all the way down from darkest Yorkshire to park somewhere like Watford Junct...