London Marathon Fetchpoint 2019

32 watchers
Apr 2018
7:32pm, 23 Apr 2018
3,781 posts
  •  
57.5 Degrees of Pain
Thanks for the cheers, and we'll done to whoever got a great pic of me on the way out. However if I'd stopped on the way back there was no way I would ever have started running again! If it was not such a long journey to get to London I'd be out to support next year.
Apr 2018
7:39pm, 23 Apr 2018
19,238 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Me :-) Ser you in Glasgow:-)
Apr 2018
11:12pm, 23 Apr 2018
10,443 posts
  •  
Rosehip
The trouble with handing out orange slices is that people can see the skins on the floor and come looking for them even when you've run out!

Loved the moments when runners spotted something and their eyes lit up and they crossed in front of everyone else and were so pleased to see Cheesy minis or Jaffa cakes or oranges or Frazzles or whatever - so having a variety is good :)
Apr 2018
11:19pm, 23 Apr 2018
22,758 posts
  •  
LindsD
Yes. All of that. Hope to be there next year :)
Apr 2018
11:21pm, 23 Apr 2018
39,951 posts
  •  
Bintmcskint
See now I want Frazzles and I'm not at mile 22 of a marathon.
I'm on my sofa.
Apr 2018
11:27pm, 23 Apr 2018
10,445 posts
  •  
Rosehip
:)
Apr 2018
9:46am, 24 Apr 2018
1,837 posts
  •  
Fitz
To reply to the OP... 😀

The one year I did Fetchpoint, I found myself on the end of our "patch" doing battle with late coming grockles who were struggling for a view and wanted to take down the Fetch flag. I found it quite uncomfortable trying to repel boarders to preserve the visibility of FP to oncoming runners. Bigger flags would be a bigger problem, perhaps the solution is to make more use of the railings behind?

Next year I'm the other side of the fence, having deferred my place this year.
Apr 2018
9:54am, 24 Apr 2018
38,161 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Serious question. How noisy was it this year? Fetchpoint (or running) at VLM is out of the question for me if there's still a lot of blowing of whistles from the spectators, but I'd love to be able to plan to be there.
Apr 2018
9:56am, 24 Apr 2018
7,202 posts
  •  
KatieB
Fitz, I was also defending an end for quite some time this year. I stepped away for about 30 seconds to alert fetch to a runner in need of lucozade and lost my place to two such spectators! We have no right to those railings and it is tricky if we don't have enough bodies to fill the space we claim...we have generally just been very welcoming to non-fetch invaders and offered help in spotting their runner.

The group next to us had a row of chairs behind their row of supporters, which looked like a great defence of their space but just adds things to carry.
Apr 2018
10:51am, 24 Apr 2018
10,449 posts
  •  
Rosehip
the whistles were horrid for a short time V'rap - as were the rattle-things. Either I got used to them or they stopped after a while - though next year I shall probably take ear-plugs in case.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
I'd love it if you'd watch this thread as an indicator that you're willing and able to support our London Fetchpoint; and if you've benefited from our presence, or enjoyed being present, share your stories too. It's a special part of the Fetch calendar, and we'd like to ensure it remains so in the future.