London Marathon 2022

18 watchers
Oct 2022
10:40am, 4 Oct 2022
668 posts
  •  
tonyp2604
Overall - amazing, noisy event, very well organised I think. I just wanted to tick this one off, so pleased to get in after seven attempts and then having to defer from last year. Missed my 4 hour "target" but still a decent time. I found that Canary Wharf messed up my GPS so it chucked in an 8 and a 7 minute mile. That meant that it showed me being further along than I actually was so the last bit was excruciatingly prolonged. I was actually doing OK and looked close to 4 hrs but I just got too tired and walked quite a bit from 24 miles (I really wish I didn't do that now!). Got 4hr 12mins, so not my quickest or slowest.

So sorry to hear about the runner who passed away.
Oct 2022
10:57am, 4 Oct 2022
10,216 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
So sad to hear about the runner who passed away. :(

I haven’t personally heard about any issues from back of the pack runners, but if anyone does know anyone who had issues point them this way:

m.facebook.com
Oct 2022
11:05am, 4 Oct 2022
4,802 posts
  •  
Groundhog
Yes, tragic about the man who died - in his 30s I think and made it most of the way round. I think he was a long way ahead of me and of course we didn't see or hear anything.

As a wave 15 starter I didn't have many issues but we did have to wait a long time to start - nearly 11am - and then there were a lot of slower people in front so there was a lot of weaving - That might just be a feature of the back of the pack with lots of different Jeffing strategies or just random walking in the middle of the road.

There seemed to be plenty of water, but it was shame to see half of it go to waste as people ditched their bottles at the water station rather than carry and sip. Bottles with a cap on also didn't deflate and could be a trip hazard if stepped on, so we had to be careful at the water stop areas. Most people were good at chucking bottles to the side of the road.
Oct 2022
11:18am, 4 Oct 2022
10,217 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
I was on one of the mile 3 water stations and I was amazed at how much debris gathered at base of the barriers by the tables. Some bottles were from people fumbling their grabs and dropping them, but plenty were also from people deliberately discarding rubbish there. I was amazed I didn’t see anyone trip on anything. We couldn’t clear anything as we were behind the barriers and would have caused a pile up if we tried. There had to have been at least 20 huge rubble sacks past the water station people could have used.
Oct 2022
11:19am, 4 Oct 2022
19,179 posts
  •  
larkim
For the "canary wharf" issue the "racescreen" data field from widget solves those problems as you hit the lap button as you pass the mile markers and it resets both the total distance and the average pace to the nearest whole number and means you've got accurate pacing info even if there is a GPS blockout. Really good for marathons in general so from the mile 26 marker it really is 0.22 showing left to run on your watch!
Oct 2022
12:08pm, 4 Oct 2022
669 posts
  •  
tonyp2604
For the "canary wharf" issue the "racescreen" data field from widget solves those problems as you hit the lap button as you pass the mile markers and it resets both the total distance and the average pace to the nearest whole number and means you've got accurate pacing info even if there is a GPS blockout. Really good for marathons in general so from the mile 26 marker it really is 0.22 showing left to run on your watch!

Thanks larkim - I need to look at this properly but I found this by Googling...
kesgravekruisers.uk
Oct 2022
12:16pm, 4 Oct 2022
19,182 posts
  •  
larkim
Yep that's the one. The review by DCrainmaker is good too.

The only issue I have with it is that the datafield is a bit too "busy" on screen; for me it could be simplified into having only Distance (as tweaked by the functionality), Avg Pace (as tweaked by the functionality), Lap Pace (normal GPS stuff) and HR.
Oct 2022
2:18pm, 4 Oct 2022
1,359 posts
  •  
Spideog
As a wave 15 starter I didn't have many issues but we did have to wait a long time to start - nearly 11am - and then there were a lot of slower people in front so there was a lot of weaving - That might just be a feature of the back of the pack with lots of different Jeffing strategies or just random walking in the middle of the road.

I started in wave 1 of yellow, formerly the GFA start. It had expanded a lot as rather than the normal 1 baggage truck they had 3 this year. Was far more women in the area than previously, the nature of the GFA timing meant that fast women would have been in Championships start, but for some reason they had got rid of the urinals in the start area. Previous years it being 99% blokes I guess it was a bit more obvious what facilities they needed to provide.

There was a noticeable wider variety of people in each of those first 3 start waves though, and a good few contenders for having put down their predicted times as for half marathon on the entry forms, rather than marathon times.

There was a lot more people in the first few miles of that yellow start who had clearly started a long way further forward than they probably should have and more overtaking than normal. Previous years the GFA start is very crowded, but almost no overtaking required, or anyone going past you, until the courses merge at 5km because everyone is doing times within 10 minutes of each other (or at least that is their plan at the start).

But saying that it wasn't crowded for those first miles as the funnel on the start line spread people out a good bit.

It was noticeable when the wave 2 charge came past me of the guys who probably should have been allocated wave 1 spots.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
Who's in?

Bib numbers
Little Miss Happy - 27475
froguin - 5587
SailorSteve - 42013
GordonG - 1479
Maccathecracker - 25662