london marathon 2021 Ballot watch

33 watchers
Oct 2020
8:51am, 9 Oct 2020
305 posts
  •  
Cheekys Dad
Good luck everyone. I’m curious about the idea of entering the ballot if you don’t actually want to get in. It’s not the winning, it’s the not being allowed to take part.
Oct 2020
8:52am, 9 Oct 2020
306 posts
  •  
Cheekys Dad
But either way I hope everyone gets what they want 😀
Oct 2020
11:10am, 9 Oct 2020
721 posts
  •  
Spideog
People in this house have entered the ballot as part of a long term plan to get a place over several years, but with zero intention of actually running in the year initially applied for.

Enter the ballot, get rejected, enter the club ballot, miss out on a place for that year, enter the main marathon ballot the following year, get rejected, enter the club ballot for places, get bumped up the priority list as missed out on a place via the club ballot the previous year, usually get a place in the second year or worst case the third year on the run.
Oct 2020
11:11am, 9 Oct 2020
19,216 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
back in the old days of 5 rejects and you are in...
Oct 2020
11:24am, 9 Oct 2020
349 posts
  •  
Shades
I haven't entered the ballot as I don't want to run London.

I have quite a 'lucky' history re ballot, 7 entries and 4 acceptances. The last time I really didn't want to run it but I was coaching a group of girls doing London as their first marathon and they begged me to enter. I said I probably wouldn't get in. Still postal entries at that time so I filled in the entry form as I'd promised the girls and then I deliberately posted it the day after the closing date and still I got in.

So I don't enter now in case I get in and I would never take a ballot place from someone that genuinely want to run it.
Oct 2020
2:34pm, 9 Oct 2020
45 posts
  •  
riggys99
Just put my name in the ballot didnt pick a charity or bequeath my entry fee. Not optimistic about chances of getting a place but you never know
Jan 2021
12:36pm, 21 Jan 2021
38,680 posts
  •  
♪♫ Synge ♪♫
Not sure which is the main thread for VLM 2021, so I'll post here too. For anyone who doesn't get a place in the ballot, there will be an opportunity to get a priority entry for a virtual event - just announced:

virginmoneylondonmarathon.com
Jan 2021
12:46pm, 21 Jan 2021
16,267 posts
  •  
jennywren
Thanks! I’d definitely do the virtual again - really enjoyed it last year. Haven’t ever got in via the ballot (13 attempts) so not hopeful this time either!
Jan 2021
12:51pm, 21 Jan 2021
88 posts
  •  
Limegreenjelly
I’ve only had 3 ballot attempts, but also get a chance of a club place by staying in, I think the crowds and the standing around would probably be difficult for me but chances of getting in seem so slim I don’t worry about it too much!
Jan 2021
12:52pm, 21 Jan 2021
22,502 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
def do the virtual again and use the same awful course to see if I can better my time!

About This Thread

Maintained by DocM
who's in the ballot?